3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't find Mid$ (Office 2000/Sr3)

This one is a strange problem. To begin with we have developed many Excel templates( Excel 2000 with the latest service packs) with VBA modules and one of those modules is a VB class that uses mid$. These templates all work find on Win 2000, Win XP, Win 98, Office 2000 and Office 2002 except on this one persons PC which is an Office 2000( latst service packs) and Win 2000 with latest service packs. On this person PC we get an error message that the library for Mid$ cannot be found. Now what makes this even stranger is that on this very same PC if we create a new Excel template and make use of Mid$ it is found with no problem. We also have re-installed Office and still this is happening. Anyone have any idea what is hapening?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't find Mid$ (Office 2000/Sr3)

Jim,
    I think you need you need to check your references pennies will get you pounds that one's missing on the machine causing you problems. You need to go into the Visual Basic editor and look in tools references.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I once had this kind of message when one of my VBA modules had too many lines of code in it. The limit is about 1600. Could it possibly be the case that you are approaching that ceiling? (I WOULD expect, however, that the same issue would arise on all machines.) HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Yea that is what we first suspected but there are no references missing. I told you this is a strange problem!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks we will investigate and see how many lines but like you siad one would expect this problem to occur on the other PC's as well. By the way where did you read about the 1600 lines limit?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The 1600 coincided (approximately) with my experience. (I think, in fact, I got up to slightly more.) Fellow Lounger pieterse has, I believe, a list of the various size limts - which he posted about 18 months ago. There may be other, hidden issues arising in this particular machine which makes the limit kick in slightly earlier. The limit is not precise.
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Any chance the VBE6.DLL is munged and should be reinstalled?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Even if no references show up as missing on that machine, try checking another one, compiling the code and then removing that extra reference. Sometimes you have to force the references collection to refresh itself even though it thinks all the references have been resolved.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have had this error (it also affected Left$ and Right$) caused by editing a template with a later version of VBA and then moving it back to an earlier version again.

I can't remember how I fixed it, but I think it was by comparing the list of references with a newly created blank project and adding the missing one back.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Al I can remember posting is something as general as what you post: about 1600 lines.

this page gives some more information. Read all posts in there.
    From that page, i found this link to be interesting.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW I believe you mentioned a couple of other numbers - i.e. the flavour of what you cited was somewhat different from the (interesting) links that you mention. Oh well, we'll see once we've arrived at the Golden Land of the new server and the restored search function!<g>
    Gre