Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ie6 and Java (XP Professional)

Hi All,
    I am Trying to build a web site using Fusion7 everything uploads but when I access the site i get a message Microsoft virtual Machine required cant find it anywhere as i believe i have to install it on Xp. I ran my Norton Internet Security to check a blocked attacked that advised me i also need java and asked me to download Sun Java, this works fine with Norton but causes my System to show a black Screen and freeze when i view my web site also the Java Aplet does not run,in this case a ticker tape the only way out is to reboot, i am new to Webs and Java anyone any Ideas

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ie6 and Java (XP Professional)

Hi Les--

You can scan for it here because they discontinued their freestanding download site. They are going to discontinue all support and security updates on January 2004. I'm not sure of the reason for your Java Freeze--you can search it google groups, but I'd just uninstall it and use MVM while you can and migrate, or uninstall it and try to reinstall the appropriate version of Java VM you need with the links below:

Find Windows Updates: Microsoft Virtual Machine for ME/2000, XP Through Windows Update

Microsoft Virtual Machine and Sun Java Virtual Machine Download Links Available Here at www.java-virtual-machine.net/download.htm

Also see:
    Visual Ware Java Support
    How to get a JAVA VM

VM Context and Some Legal Background

Sun and MS were involved in lengthy litigation that is still ongoing, with the latest decision in the Fourth Circuit. In short, there was an a settlement with Sun in 2001 that after Jan. 1, 2004 MS could no longer support the a MS VM. MS no longer includes it nor do they include Microsoft Visual J++. The Baltimore Division District Court of Maryland issued an order for MS to distribut Java Runtime environment with XP Operating Systems. MS appealed, and secured a stay of the order from the Fourth Circuit now in effect.

MS advises that if you are a user who deploys it in your environment or develops software using the MS VM, ot migrate before 2004.

For reference and context see:

299672: MVM Updates Only Available from Windows Update if You Have MVM
    163637: INFO: Availability of Current Build of MVM
    Microsoft Technologies for JAVA
    Customer Fact Sheet on Removal of JAVA from Windows
    MS VM Developer FAQ
    JAVA Language Assistant Conversion Tool 2.0

HTH,

SMBP

Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,
    Thanks for info and background Msoft VM up and running uninstalled Sun VM no Crashes freezes or Black Screens.
    Dont know if this your subject but have ISDN connection USB Modem and USB All in One Printer/Scanner, If i am on line and try to print from Internet or local spools to printer but Printer s/ware gives me an error not responding all i have to do is disconnect from internet and the Printer begins to Print see Post: 272337 .If Not online printer behaves normally Tried all Manufacturers all drivers upto date they have offered no solution except it sounds like a conflict

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Les--

I'll look for the post, but could you please paste all of the errors you're getting with this. It will help a lot and I appreciate your including the OS with IE. It makes a difference and sometimes a critical one in problem solving to know the OS and 70% of the time you don't get it on this portion of the lounge.

Thanks,

SMBP

Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,
    Thanks for reply Dont get any error messages Computer Just carries on thinking about something only when I alt/ctr/del to open task manager i find its not responding, (see attachment screen prints ) Tried to print your reply on line.
    Using windows XP Prof {Cant download SP1 for some reason Stops after about 90Mins and cant reconnect?) IE6 SP1 Sorry very small in attachment only way I could think of to get them the right k
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Les--

FWIW--

Microsoft has announced (yesterday) that it will carry Sun Microsystems Inc.'s Java programming language in the Windows operating system nine months longer than first planned, to give customers more time to transition between the software platforms.

Originally, Microsoft had said it would only carry Java in Windows until the end of 2003, under an agreement that allows programs written in the Java programming language to run on top of Windows. Microsoft and Sun said in a joint statement that they would extend that by 10 months to Sept. 30, 2004.

One of the main issues concerning customers and software vendors is the ability to preserve software security during the transition so that hackers won't get a chance to exploit software flaws.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft has a webcast that might help with JVM/MVM issues:

Transitioning from the Microsoft Virtual Machine

SMBP

Thanks

It sounds as though regular users only have one choice if they want to continue to take advantage of Java-enabled sites:

"Microsoft has identified steps that developers, IT professionals, and businesses can take in order to make the transition and migration as convenient as possible:

<UL><LI>Start work now to understand your Microsoft VM dependency
    <LI>Decide on your transition and migration path, which may include:
    <UL><LI>Migrating to other rendering technologies such as DHTML, Macromedia Flash, ASP.NET, or others
    <LI>Migrate Microsoft Visual J++