New Lounger
    Thanks

Link to a particular slide in an HTML slideshow (2002, SP-2)

Hello,

Hopefully someone can answer my question. I have a PowerPoint XP presentation that I have saved as a web page. I want to be able to create a hyperlink from another web page that will link to a particular slide of the presentation. How would I construct such a URL? Is there some standard naming convention Office is using when it creates the HTML version of a slideshow? Is what I want to do even possible, or should I look into exporting all the slides as images and generating my own navigation scripts?

Thanks,
    Larry Kenchel
    University of Missouri - Rolla
    Administrative Services IT Support Group Manager

Thanks

Re: Link to a particular slide in an HTML slideshow (2002, SP-2)

I don't know the answer, but if you create such a link inside a presentation (e.g., from slide1 to slide2), export it to a web page, and view the source for the link that PowerPoint creates, can you successfully copy from that?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outside of HTML, it's normally path/file.ppt#1, where 1 is the slide number. It depends on the version, however. It used to be a dash, now it's a pound. I noticed, too, XP adds the slide name to look like this: path/file.ppt#1. Slide Title.

Saving it to HTML and view the code, it looks like this:
    href="relativepath/file.ppt#-1,2,Slide 2" where 2 is the slide to start with and Slide 2 is the slide's title (no title used, so it reverts to Slide Number.)

I'm sure there's more to it, but that's all I got.

-LennyJo

New Lounger
    Thanks

After looking a bit more at the code generated, if I include most of the stylesheet info and the Javascript, there is a Javascript function in the script.js file that is created called GoToSldNum that allows me to specify which slide number (as indicated by the slide x of n caption as opposed to having to know the name of the HTML file generated) to jump to. It's not as simple as just a carefully constructed URL, but it seems to work.

The tips did prompt me to look closer at the code - thanks.

Larry Kenchel