Lounger
    Thanks

Send Mail to USER@[IP ADDRESS] (Outlook 2002)

Email servers are required by RFC821 to accept email in the form USER@[IP ADDRESS]. Microsoft addresses :>) this issue for Exchange Server in KB193316. So my Exchange server will accept email addressed this way, but I cannot get Outlook to send an email addressed so. The dialog pops up saying Outlook does not recognize ...... Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Send Mail to USER@[IP ADDRESS] (Outlook 2002)

This seems to be more hassle than it's worth, but... if you put a "throwaway" address in the To space, such as nobody@nowhere.com and wait for Outlook to resolve it, you then can double-click it and set it to the correct address in the user@[IP] format.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Send Mail to USER@[IP ADDRESS] (Outlook 2002)

Well, thank you. It works, even if it's a bit goofy. You would think that a mature product like Outlook 2002 would make some effort to be RFC compliant. I tried this on my home system with Outlook 2000 and POP3 account and had the same problem. I had to find someone with a linux mail client to test the compliance of my exchange server in order to get off a blacklist who required receipt of an email at postmaster@[ip address].

ALL SPAMMERS SHOULD BE FLOGGED!