5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Works 7 Database

I got volunteered to do this, so don't laugh.. I can do some reasonable stuff in Access, but I'm truly handcuffed in this thing. And the question is: How do I concatonate two text fields in this thing? The Access way of doing it does not work, ie. "FirstName" + " " + "Surname" to get WholeName. Appreciative of any help.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Works 7 Database

I don't have Works, so I have no idea, really, but does another "Access way of doing it" work here?

[FirstName] & " " & [Surname]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans:
    You can tell by the way I bounce from 'room' to 'room' that I don't seem to have a life. But my teeth are good. Anyway, thanks for the great clue. When I entered your suggestion specifically, Works came back with an 'offer' to correct that version and returned, =(FIRSTNAME)&" "&(SURNAME) which worked perfectally. There but for the grace of a bracket type goes...... Thanks again, really appreciate it. Will get back to you with my other problem later in the day as once more I go off having to do something for someone else. Don't ever retire, because they're out there waiting for you.

Andy
    Cheers,
    Andy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Hans is right, as you've discovered.
    I use works 4.5 for some quite serious stuff, and the irritating habit from earlier versions whereby column widths in Report view aren't stable hasn't been fixed. (There's a thing on the M$ site about a workaround, but that's not stable either.)
    The same fault persists in Works 6 (had to get this as 4.5 doesn't run at all on win2k)
    Has it been fixed in Works 7? Has the Window menu been restored?
    The database module of Works is potentially a cracking tool, especially for users who find Access terrifying, and this defect is a huge irritation (to some extent redeemed by the 'copy report output' tool.)