2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Processes will not close (Win XP Pro Sp1)

When I close an application then go to start it up again I sometimes, not always, find it will not fire up and if I look in the Task Manager find the process is still running in the background although it doesn't show up on the screen or task bar. I then have to close it manually in Task Manager before I can get it going again from clicking its icon or .exe file.

Roger

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Processes will not close (Win XP Pro Sp1)

Roger--

I have this happen at times when I open Adobe 6.0 reader, and then close the .pdf I just read, but it doesn't seem to affect performance in any way or CPU clock time at all. Check out your CPU usage when you are having trouble opening the program. Also you might want to look at what's loading on your start menu in the msconfig utility, and see if you can eliminate some of the processes that are running at startup by using Black Viper's XP Service Configuration Guide.

I'd run System File Checker and Check Disk also.

SMBP

Thanks

Re: Processes will not close (Win XP Pro Sp1)

Any particular programs? I know that using integration from Word to Outlook or Internet Explorer to Outlook will tend to keep an Outlook process running even after your close Outlook. In those cases, the process won't shut down normally until Word and IE are both closed. But I suspect that each program behaves a little bit differently in each environment, so it's hard to supply a general rule or general answer.