4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remotely Establishing / Breaking Dialup Connection (XP SP1)

Hi,

Here's my problem - pls. recommend me a solution:

We have a user who wants to remotely establish a connection to his PC.
    His PC only has a modem, so we can install PCAnywhere. Or use XP's Remote Desktop facility.
    PC Anywhere may be able to respond to a dialin, but XP's Remote Desktop relies on an Internet Connection being available right?

So if he's abroad & dials during night time, how can he Remotely get his PC to startup a dialup to the Internet so that he can use Remote Desktop?

Also, how can he remotely disconnect the web connection?

TIA,

m.q.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remotely Establishing / Breaking Dialup Connection (XP SP1)

1. Yes, it is correct. pcAnywhere can establish connection by calling computer's modem; you must already be online to establish the connection using Remote Desktop.

2. Depending of computer make and model, you can make the computer wakeup and power up on phone call (this is BIOS setting); however, to save time (and money) it is more practical to keep computer running (logoff all users and use usual power saver settings). To use Remote Desktop, you can set Scheduled Task to establish Internet connection on specified time (I doubt it is practical).

3. To close the web connection, simply logoff from remote computer (pcAnywhere), or close the connection manually (choose Disconnect in Network Connection dialog).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remotely Establishing / Breaking Dialup Connection (XP SP1)

Cool stuff.

I guess with the Remote Desktop option, when I am done, I can disconnect the connect remotely.
    And beforehand have the PC auto-shutdown after an hour or so.

Thanks,

m.q.