New Lounger
    Thanks

internet access (explorer 6)

Using MS Explorer 6. SBC Yahoo DSL on small office network. Since yesterday we have been unable to surf the Web. Some sites will come up. Most say unable to find server. For instance, cannot get into Dell or Gateway sites. Obviously, I got into Woody's Lounge with no problem. Email is fine, no problem--using OE6. I have no idea what to do. Suggestions???. Thank you in advance.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: internet access (explorer 6)

Hi Jeanne--

What OS are you using with MSN 6? What ISP and what kind of connection to the Internet? Is any type server involved? I would upgrade if you haven't to IE6SP1.

Try to use a quick IE Repair with a click at Add/Remove Programs if you are using Win 98 through ME. This won't be available if you are using a Windows NT kernel OS like NT, 2000, XP. I would make sure the latest service pack is in if there is one for whichever operating system you are using. I would also update OE6 to OE6SP1 for good measure, even though it is problem free now.

I listed several KB's because I don't know your OS. I would check to see that you've deployed the updated patches.
    Previous Security Bulletins
    Current Security Bulletins

I would be aware that patches 811493, 813489, 810487 can cause slowdowns, with far the most common 811493 but you won't know until you deply them one by one. If problems, then uninstall them at Add/Remove.

See:
    296275: 404 Error: Failed to Connect to Server
    303807: The Page Cannot Be Displayed
    262264: Page Cannot be Displayed or Timeout When Browsing the Internet
    328785: Page Cannot be Displayed When You Try to Access an FTP Site
    326155: Page Cannot Be Displayed Error When You Try To Start Internet Explorer

I would run system file checker. Put the OS CD-Rom in and at the dos prompt type:
    1) "sfc /purge cache" and let it run--takes seconds.
    2) "sfc /scannow" (Both without quotes and space before forward slash). This may replace corrupt files in IE or the OS.
    3) I would run Ad Aware 6 and I would always click the globe icon at the top to make sure I was using the latest Reference File which is essential when running it.
    4) I would run Spybot Search and Destroy.

Spyware, malware, BHO's and other objects can cause this type behavior. One repair aid for IE is here:

Repair or Reinstall IE6/OE6

If you supply your OS, internet connection, and server info, I can be more specific.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP Thank you for your reply. Using Win2000--but have figured out problem. Using 2Wire Home Portal for connection to internet. It seems, it can be intermittant even though looks like is steady. Had to turn off, pause for a few minutes, and turn back on. When we can afford, need better system. Maybe this can help someone else. I have to remember, look at the simple things first.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

So do I thanks for F/U Jeanne.

SMBP