3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't abort/quit query builder w/o forced save (AXP)

I am using Access XP on a Win2k machine, and have run into this problem before -- I _think_ in '97, not sure.
    You begin to build a temporary query, just to satisfy some craving for quick information you might have <g>, but sometimes "something triggers something," and you are not allowed to just quit, close, abandon the query. Short of closing down the program through Task Manager or just hitting the big red button (now grey, beige or black, of course) out of frustration, what can you do? (Oh - and I guess I could save it and then just delete ...) And why does it happen ("because it happens ...") -- This is just out of curiosity, and sorry if it's been mentioned before (can't search, can't dance!). -- thx, Pat W.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't abort/quit query builder w/o forced save (AXP)

There are some circumstances in which I have seen something like this:
    <UL><LI>When I created a very complex query and switched to datasheet view. The execution of the query took so long that the computer seemed to freeze. Often, you can halt execution by pressing Ctrl+Break.
    <LI>When I try to create a query based on a linked table, in particular if other users (in other databases) are editing data from that table. In extreme situations this can last up to a minute, but (in my experience) not longer, and usually much shorter.[/list]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't abort/quit query builder w/o forced save (AXP)

Thanks, Hans, for your reply!
    It was an exceedingly simple query, but it was to a linked table -- although that was on my own desktop, since I am testing.
    I think there was a problem in the execution -- I can't remember, so, perhaps there was an error process going on behind the scenes that really hadn't ended, even though I was back in design mode.
    Oh, well, it's not worth our worry, even though it is worth our interest. Thanks so much for replying!
    Pat W.