3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

sorting a memo field? (a2002)

I'd like to be able to sort memo fields. I thought the way to go would be to add a text field in addition to the memo field in the record. Then you could enter key words or topics in the text field based on the contents of the memo field and sort on the text field.

However, in order to create a continuous form displaying the memo fields I needed a multitable table query that allowed me to tie a survey question response to the survey, the survey question, and the respondent. That query is not updateable so I can't enter the key words in the survey requestion response table after reviewing the contents of the memo fields.

Is there a better strategy for sorting a memo field or a work around for updating a field in a table that's part of a multitable query? I'm sure there's a simple solution but I'm not seeing it.

Eli

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: sorting a memo field? (a2002)

Elizabeth,

For a multi-table to be updateable, there must be a unique index (preferably the primary key) on the field on the "one" side of each join between the tables.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Another caution - sorting a memo field may truncate the memo field to 256 characters in some circumstances, so check carefully to make sure that isn't happening when you update the record. As an alternative we have used the Left(255) characters as a calculated expression and sorted on that.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to reduce large screenshot in size)

Hans,

If I'm reading you right, the attached query should be updateable because the join fields on each table on the "one" side is Indexed Yes(no duplicates). But, it's not letting me add a value to the KeyWords field in tblRspndntsRspns.

What am I missing?

Elizabeth
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Elizabeth,

In this case, the query is locked because there are too many joins - there are two "paths" from tblSurveys to tblRspndntsRspns. Remove one of the joins from tblSurveys; you don't need both.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

That took care of it and allowed me to clean up several other things as well. Sure glad you're around!

Elizabeth