Star Lounger
    Thanks

Event Handler Woes (Word 2000)

Hello.

I have an application event handler for Word which contains a DocumentOpen event. The only way I can get it to work is by manually running my Register_Event_Handler:

Dim X As New EventHandler
    Sub Register_Event_Handler()
    Set X.objWord = Word.Application
    End Sub

All my code is contained within a global template located in my startup folder. I was under the impression that my Register_Event_Handler would automatically run because it is in a global template. Is it supposed to? My events are located in a class module and my register event handler is in a regular module. What am I doing wrong?

Here is my event handler:

Private Sub objWord_DocumentOpen(ByVal objDoc As Document)

With objDoc.ActiveWindow
    .Caption = .Path + "" + .ActiveWindow.Document.Name
    .View.Type = wdPrintView
    .ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage = 100
    .ActivePane.View.ShowAll = True
    .View.TableGridlines = True
    End With

If objDoc.TrackRevisions = True And objDoc.ShowRevisions = False Then
    objDoc.ShowRevisions = True
    aretval = MsgBox("Track Changes is enabled and the changes were hidden." + Chr(13) + "Do you want to disable TrackChanges and accept or reject all changes?", vbExclamation + vbYesNo, "Track Changes Warning")
    If aretval = vbYes Then
    objDoc.TrackRevisions = False
    Dialogs(wdDialogToolsAcceptRejectChanges).Show
    End If
    End If

If objDoc.TrackRevisions = False And objDoc.ShowRevisions = False And objDoc.Revisions.Count > 1 Then
    objDoc.ShowRevisions = True
    bretval = MsgBox("There are revisions within the document that are hidden." + Chr(13) + "It is recommend that they be accepted or rejected at this time." + Chr(13) + "Would you like to accept or reject now?", vbExclamation + vbYesNo, "Track Changes Warning")
    End If

If bretval = vbYes Then
    objDoc.TrackRevisions = False
    Dialogs(wdDialogToolsAcceptRejectChanges).Show
    End If

End Sub

Thanks,

Kyle

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Event Handler Woes (Word 2000)

You can run your Register_Event_Handler from an AutoExec procedure in your Global Template. All you have to do is create a Sub called AutoOpen in an Ordinary module (not a class module), and put a call to Register_Event_Handler in there.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The bare fact that Register_Event_Handler is in a global module doesn't mean that it will be run. Imagine that ALL macros in a global template would be executed the moment it is loaded!

Either rename Register_Event_Handler to AutoExec, or call it from a macro (in a standard module) named AutoExec. Instead of that, you can also call it from the Document_Open event handler in ThisDocument.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hi Kyle,

"I was under the impression that my Register_Event_Handler would automatically run because it is in a global template. Is it supposed to?"

no. application level event handlers always need to be instantiated. you can do this when the global template loads by having the instantiation code inside an autoexec sub.

"My events are located in a class module and my register event handler is in a regular module. What am I doing wrong?"

nothing, see my previous anwer. an alternative would be to code the thisdocumentlevel document_open event, which will be triggered for each document that is attached to the normal template. this will run by itself and doesn't need explicit instantiation.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much.

Kyle

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans. Yes, this make sense now. I renamed my Register_Event_Hander to AutoExec. Thanks so much for your help. One more question for you: Would would be the benefit of calling the Register_Event_Handler from ThisDocument. Would all the documents have to be based off of my global template?

Kyle

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

>> Would would be the benefit of calling the Register_Event_Handler from ThisDocum

Nothing in particular, I just wanted to point out two different ways of doing the same thing. Document_Open in ThisDocument is slightly more "modern"; AutoExec already existed in the time when Word was programmed with WordBasic instead of Visual Basic. But both will work.

>> Would all the documents have to be based off of my global template?

No, since a global template is opened automatically when Word is loaded, the AutoExec or Document_Open macro is run once, when Word is opened.