New Lounger
    Thanks

Page Numbers Word 2K (Word 2000)

Is it possible to insert two different page numbers in the same footer? I'm working on a document that has several sections, the page numbers run consecutively, although the footer for each section is slightly different. My client now wants to add section page numbers with each section restarting with 1, i.e., Section 1 Page 1, Section 1 Page 2, Section 2 Page 1, etc. while on the same page maintain a "running" page number, i.e., Section 1 Page 1 would having a running page number of 10; Section 1 Page 2 would have running page number 11; Section 2 Page 1 would have running page number 12; etc. My deadline is tomorrow, so any quick responses will be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page Numbers Word 2K (Word 2000)

Have a look at <!mskb=155199>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 155199<!/mskb>, "How to Create Two-Page Numbering Schemes in One Document"

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I copied this tip a long time ago & tested it.
    <big>Numbering Section Pages and Running Pages</big>
    To create both section page numbering and a running total of page numbers place these two field codes at the beginning of your document:

{SEQ variable1 r {SectionPages} } {SEQ variable2 r0}

You then set the entire document to start numbering at page 1 for each new section. Use Ctrl+A to select all the document, select Insert/Page Number/Format, then set the Page Numbering box start value to 1. Click OK to close the Format box, but click cancel in the next page numbering dialog box.

Next, put these field codes at the start of each section after the first one:

{SEQ variable2 r{={SEQ variable1 c}}}{SEQ variable1 r{={SectionPages}+{SEQ variable2 c}}}
    To put the current section page number into your header or footer:
    Enter the field code (where braces are entered with F9):

{Page}
    To put the continuous page number into your header or footer:
    Enter the field code (where braces are entered with F9):

{={SEQ variable2 c}+{Page}}

This will then generate the overall document page numbers.
    Explanation
    It's not immediately clear how it this works. The solution outwits the way that the {Page} field returns the page number for the current section, using the calculated field:

{={SEO variable2 c}+{Page}}

which generates the overall document page number. This works by setting the value SEQ (the sequence field) to equal the total number of pages in the previous sections, and then simply adds to that the value of the current {Page} field, in order to get the overall page count.

The solution relies on the SEQ field starting with a value of 0. The only problem with this is that it's designed to be a counter, so it automatically increments each time that it's used in a document. By default, this makes the value in the first instance 1, the second 2 and so on. The c switch tells the SEQ field to retain the value of the last occurrence of the SEQ field, rather than incrementing it. As long as variable2 is set to zero at the start of the document, this solution will work nicely.

The first field:

{SEQ variablel r{SectionPages}}

sets the SEQ counter to the value of the number of pages in the first section. The r parameter assigns a value to SEQ variable, in this case variable1. You can see that the second field also uses the r parameter, but this time it's used to set variable2 to 0:

{SEQ variable2 rO}

The clever bit is getting the correct starting number for each of the following sections, and it's this calculation that the two fields that appear at the beginning of each section work out. The first field in the second section of the document assigns the value of the number of pages in section 1 to variable2 by assigning it the value of variable1.

{SEO variable2 r{={SEQ variable1 c)}}

The SEQ variable 1 is assigned the value of all of the pages in section 1 (now stored in variable2), plus the total number of pages in section 2 (returned by {Sectionpages}):

{SEQ variable1 r{={Sectionpages}+{SEQ variable2 c} } }

For section 3, variable1 will now contain the total number of pages in sections 1 and 2; for section 4 it'll contain the number of pages in sections 1, 2 and 3; and so on. Lastly, you need to make all calculation fields non-printing, so they don't appear in your document. You only want the last two formulas, for generating section page numbers and the overall page numbers, to show. It should be possible to achieve the same results using bookmarks.

This section numbering tip is from PCMagazine and submitted by Howard Johnston-Bristol
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the reference. With a little bit of tweaking, I got the job done.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for the help. I printed the info for future reference.