New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing the main dictionaries (2000)

Is it possible to change Word's main dictionary files (NOT meaning Custom.dic)?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing the main dictionaries (2000)

Each language has it's own main dictionary. You can change your language defaults, if you want. Old posts are temporarily culled from the Lounge, but see if <post#=211146>post 211146</post#> or <post#=270936>post 270936</post#> are still in existence. You can also replace the main dictionary, so long as the new dictionary is in the proper format & has the same name. I'm not sure where you would get one, though.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Thanks for helping out - I noticed my question wasn't clear...
    I'd like to know if I can change the contents of the dictionary - change the spelling of words or remove words from it - stuff like that...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 23-Jul-03 11:29. to correct grammer)</P>No. You can't change the contents of the main dictionary. However, you can create 2 custom dictionaries to provide the same functionality. Custom dictionaries are text files (you can create them with Notepad).

If you want to add words to a dictionary (so that they are not marked incorrect during a spellcheck), create a text file that has a .dic extension. You can add a list of words by typing or pasting one word per line (pressing <enter> after each word). Place it in the following location (if you're on a single user Win 98 machine with no profiles):

C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftProofCUSTOM.DIC

You can give it any name you want, as long as the extension is .dic. You must then access it (do this once only) by going to Tools/Options/Spelling & Grammer tab/Dictionaries.../Add... Actually, you can create the dictionary by pressing the "New..." button.

Now, suppose you also want Word to spellcheck words that it considers correct. You must create an exclude dictionary. This is also a text file. However, it must have the SAME name as the main dictionary, except that it ends in .exc, rather than .lex or .dic. For U.S. English, that file would be named:

C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftProofMssp3en.exc

Note: I've seen instructions that say to place it in the same folder as the main dictionary. However, I have found that it must be in the Proof folder, just like the custom dictionary.

You're best bet is to just create the two dictionaries by using Tools/Options/Spelling & Grammer/Dictionaries.../New.... Just remember to set the language if you use multiple languages & make sure you save the files with the correct extension.
    Cheers,