2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MailMerge peculiarity (Word 97/Office 97)

I've inherited a mailmerge document from another office which, when combined with the data in an Excel97 worksheet, will print the appropriate information on a blank cheque, (date, payee, amount in numbers and amount in words). The metrics were a little off when I first got the doc so I spend some time refining paragraph spacing to line all of the data items up with the lines on the cheque they're to be written against. I got it about right on my machine then posted the files in the data area of the eventual users, our cashiers section.

Demonstrating the facility to them on one of their PCs, I used photocopies of a blank cheque sheet, (an A4 page with three cheques top to bottom) to show how the fields lines up with the pre-printed aspects of the cheque. The perfectionists in them asked for a few changes, which were incorporated and I left them happy with a job well done.

An hour or so later, I got a call from one of the two staff I'd demonstrated the facility to. He told me that the cheques weren't lining up properly. I went down to see him and he was right - the position of the data was such that it was overprinting lines on the cheque rather than positioning the text just above the line. The machine I'd used for the earlier demonstration wasn't the PC this chap was using, but it was the same in every respect - Compaq EN733 with 256Mb RAM. The same files were being used from their data folder. The printer was the same in both cases and I first of all suspected a problem with the printer driver, but they were both the same, too.

I reassured myself that they hadn
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MailMerge peculiarity (Word 97/Office 97)

Hi Steve:
    Ideas...yes. The answer...??? I would check two things. Look under Tools/Options/Print & make sure that "Akkiw A4/letter resizing" is NOT checked (or at least is the same on both machines. I'd also look at Tools/Options/Compatibility & look for "Use printer metrics to lay out document". Try it both ways & see if it makes a difference. Post back & let us know if this helped.
    Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

I've encountered this behaviour before, too. It seems to be a Windows thing: somehow screen resolutions AND refresh rates can both affect how Windows interprets the available space on a line/page. Weird but true. Evidently there's some interation between the screen and printer drivers.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions, Phil. I've just compared the settings on the two machines. Both were set to allow A4/Letter resizing, so that cancelled itself out. None of the compatibility switches were selected on either machine, but I selected the "Use printer metrics..." option on the machine with the lower resolution. While not perfect, the output is now positioned accurately enough to be acceptable. The users are please and so am I.

I didn't try Macropod's suggestion of varying screen resolutions, though I'm fairly sure that both are running at 85Hz. If they're not the same, it may offer the opportunity for a bit of fine tuning if the users ever decide that the outputs are still too different after all.

As an observation, I can't believe this is an intentional feature of Word. What possible purpose could it serve? I guess it's just an artefact of the interaction of two fiendishly complex bits of software - Windows and Word.

Thanks again. I now have happy users - until the next issue crops up...
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Steve:
    You might want to UNcheck "allow A4/Letter resizing on both machines, just to check. Woody himself was having problems once creating labels because of that setting. If you have tables & cells in your document, they are affected by that setting; it could be that each machine is adjusting differently.
    Cheers,

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Macropod:
    Thanks for this. I'll keep it in mind when printing problems crop up.
    Cheers,