3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Distribution, Server (Access 2000)

I am looking for some input regarding specs for a server. The db will set using the db splitter. From my understanding, using the db splitter will have the client perform most of the work. Therefore, is it still worth it to create a server that is fairly powerful (like a gig of ram, raid controller) or should I use a more generic setup

Ideas are welcome [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Distribution, Server (Access 2000)

If you are splitting the database into Access front end and Access beck end, the only thing the back end does is hold the data, it doesn't really process anything. The back end is passive, Access doesn't run on the machine that stores the back end. You don't need a fast or heavy machine for that.
    It's different if you're migrating the back end to SQL Server. In that case, invest in the fastest, heaviest machine you can afford for it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK great. Are there any other options that I would have in terms of sending up a multi user enviroment? Also, there will be about 7 - 8 using the system at any given time. Should I be worried about any constraints or barriers and terms of performance. I have done lots or research, but I also looking to get some input from developers as well.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If all 7 or 8 users are going to insert or edit data at the same time, things might be slow sometimes, but if some of them are just browsing and others inserting/editing, performance should be OK.

Give each user a local copy of the front end. If you change the design of the front end, just give everyone a fresh copy, don't try to modify each local front end.

If that is not possible, and you have a shared front end on the network, make sure that all forms are closed without an attempt to save the design. I always set the Close Button property to No and provide a command button to close the form with this code:

DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, acSaveNo

A stable, dependable network is very important. Access is extremely sensitive to network hiccups.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For a shared front end, I am assuming that the front end would be on the server? Would that not create more network traffic? I am just trying to geta solid understanind of the multi-use setup. I totally see the benefit of a shared front end when updating the forms. Also, right now the form always kicks to the code. How can I protect that from happening. I have never distrubuted in a multi-user enviromernt, so I wil have lots of questions probably [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img] Currently I have just going though trying to trap all the bugs, but I am sure there will some that I miss.

Thanks for the help

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Again, if possible give each user a local copy of the front end. But it is very well possible to use a shared front end on a network server. At the place where I work, we use this setup for several databases without problems. Downside is that we can only modify the front end at a moment nobody is using it., but we can live with that.

What do you mean by "right now the form always kicks to the code" ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Like if there is an error that occurs that I don;t catch, the system will kick to the VB code. I have the on error set for the from, but sometimes it still kicks to the vb on certain errors. I would like to avoid it ever going to the vb code ( the line that the error occurs

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You must try to trap all errors. You could create an .MDE database as front end; there is no code to jump to in an .MDE, but untrapped errors will lead to incomprehensible (to the end user) error messages.