New Lounger
    Thanks

order of contacts in address book

We are using Outlook2000 and Exchange Server in our office. When we imported out contacts from Outlook98, the sorting in the address book was by first name. When you look at them direct from Contacts, they are sorted by last name. How can we get the Address Book to show contacts by last name? So far, I have gone the long route, creating a personal address book, adding contacts, cutting and pasting the last name into the last name field. But this would take too long to do this for everybody. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: order of contacts in address book

Open the address book
    Go to the menu, View, Sort By, select "Last Name".
    I am using Outlook 2000 Internet and NO Exchange, so I do NOT know if you set up is different.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

We are using Corporate Workgroup which is different from Internet Only and I tell you, I would much rather have the Inernet Only version. The solution you suggested doesn't work in Corporate. But hey, thanks for the response.

Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately it does't work in the non-networked mode either. It will sort by last name in the straight Outlook list, but if you access the contacts from inside a message by clicking the send to.. button they will be first names still. You have to go in through a message and open properties for each name on the list, and select the desired order one name at a time. A pain, and it sometimes comes undone when you synch. And has to be done seperately with each new contact entry.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think what you are looking for is to display last name, first name when you click on the address book to address an email?

If so, in CW mode, this will work: Tools, Services, choose Outlook Address book, then click properties. At the bottom of this dialogue box there are radio buttons for First Last (the default) or File As. The default for file as is Last First but can be changed for any given contact.

I hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This worked like a charm. I've emailed this fix to everyone. I can't believe that my ISD (Information Services Division) didn't know this SIMPLE answer. I knew that I would get the answer here. Have a GREAT DAY!