Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Feed Options (Word 2002(Office XP Pro))

For a while now, when I use Tools>Letters and Mailings>Envelops and Lables in conjunction with a feeder from an HP Laserjet 1200Series PCL printer I have had centering problems on the envelop or had to feed it manually. I think I have it solved by setting it to the correct envelop size which is 10, and using "auto select--the second option in the list as well as below.

If I use other feeding options, there seem to be problems where it prints an HP test print on the envelop and then a perfect address on a sheet of paper. Can someone tell me what the 5 feed options mean--the categories are close enough to be ambiguous and I couldn't find it in "Help" or the MSKB under Word 2002?

Categories:

1) Default Tray (Auto Select)
    2) Auto Select--this is the one I'm using.
    3) Printer Auto Select
    4) Tray
    5) Manual Feed (Tray)

Also any tips to using this feature optimally?

Thanks,

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Feed Options (Word 2002(Office XP Pro))

One thought, the "feeder" you refer to - is that an accessory for the printer, i.e. an add-on to the standard tray that ships with the printer? If so, have you adjusted the configuration in the printer driver so that it knows there is an additional tray to feed from?
    Check the properties for the LJ 1200 and see if there is a "configure" tab or similar and make sure that any accessory you have is selected, ticked or otherwise made known to your 'puter
    HTH

Thanks

I don't know this printer, but in the LaserJet 4/4M/4050/4100 world:

> 1) Default Tray (Auto Select)
    Uses the tray specified as the default in your printer driver settings (Start button >Settings >Printers). Your printer driver is currently set to Auto Select.

> 2) Auto Select--this is the one I'm using.
    Lets the printer decide what tray to use

> 3) Printer Auto Select
    Sounds like the same thing. I haven't seen this one before

> 4) Tray
    Apparently your printer has one tray, whether drawer style or ledge style.

> 5) Manual Feed (Tray)
    Same physical location as Tray but you need to push the Go button to get your printout. Useful for swapping in unusual paper sizes.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have experience with either the printer or Word 2002. However, I do know that there are two places to choose feeder options & other properties. One is under the Printer icon in Windows & the other is through Word. One of those Auto Selects sounds like it lets Windows choose & the other lets Word choose.

In Word 2000, one dialog box is accessed though File/Print.... The other is accessed through File/Page Setup/Paper Source. Then again, sometimes HP has the wrong printer driver for your OS & gives you options you can't use.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Ian--

This helps me get a grip on this. The add-on question was a good one, because an add on could have thrown an wrench in the works for any setting that wouldn't have been able to account for the add-on in properties. It's the plastic tray with a slide adjustable letter feeder that came with the printer. And now I know to sync the setting in the printer driver tab in properties. Now I know that if I use another setting Jefferson contexted, that I'm going to have to sync it here as well as sync the letter size setting here.

Thanks much,

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil--

This is helpful. Word 2002 is exactly like 2000 in this. There is the same identical choice there in paper source that there is in the Envelops Options dialogue box on the Printing Options tab only instead of envelops, this one is geared to paper sizes with the exact same choices that Jefferson explained. I'm learning whenever there's a printing questions just like "Go to the Matresses" from Tom Hanks (Joe) paraphrasing The Godfather to Kathleen in You've Got Mail--"go to the printer drivers properties--the answers are there somewhere." And the reason there are duplicates of the box in Word and Windows is of course that there is no rule that just because you find Windows, you will have Word, although I can hear Gates and Ballmer saying "Pretty much oh yes you will."

Thanks this helps,

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks much Jefferson--

This is the other part of my puzzle. Contexting these tells me what they do--maybe it was explained somewhere I missed in Help (probably) maybe in a book on Word and that you need to match these choices with the selection in on the Printer Driver Properties tab I screenshot above. This helps me get control of this and along with Ian's suggestion it explains why fiddling around with the envelop size (I'm not sure if there is a rigid standard Office envelop size but the ones I use now correspond to #10) could have made my return address skewed or cut off even when I made sure the feeder was attached securely and the feeder slider was tight around that envelop. Also this probably accounts for why the last line of a four line address with city, state, zip was cut off in that there is a choice to match for envelop size on the Laser Jet Properties Device Settings tab and the envelop.

They gotta match and now I can context the choices on the pull down that also have to match at both places.

SMBP

Thanks

I can't tell if you've worked it through or you're asking a question, but here's my comment. Leave your printer driver default set to the paper type you will use the most often, so you can print without thinking 99% of the time. Let Word override the default the other 1% of the time. Otherwise, you'll be printing web pages, e-mail, Acrobat, etc., and your printer will ask for or expect envelopes. That's no fun.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

What started the problems were two things: 1) Sometimes I could mouseclick and the envelop would feed, and other times I had to mouse click and go to the printer button or just go to the printer button. 2) Then I must have gotten a box of envelops that was off just enough to start cutting off return addreses or for some crazy reason--maybe a feeding misalignment I missed, it would cut off the city, state and zip. And I started messing around trying to fix it, forgetting to check printer drivers tabs and that my envelop size probably switched just enough to be off.

I did work it through, and you helped me understand the menus and get this straigntend out and Ian's suggestion got me to make sure the Envelop wizard and the printer drivers choices match. Maybe it's me, but there are a lot of menus in a lot of computer applications that are so close to each other term-wise or word wise that if you don't have an explanation you aren't sure what they mean. Sure I could be more intuitive and the more software you use the more adept you are because you find patterns, but I saw 5 choices there, probably had my envelop size another pull down choice OK by default and swtiched it and probably played around with the choices and got them out of sync between the envelop wizard and the printer driver box. And this suggestion is very good advice--I'm almost always printing with regular sized paper, and I'll just have to be mindful of trying to standardize envelops.

Thanks,

SMBP