Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Direct X (9.0 b) Out 7/23/03

Microsoft issued Direct X 9.0([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] on July 23 and also released suprise! one "critical" and two "important" patches. Direct X 9.0([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] contains one of them.

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Direct X (9.0 b) Out 7/23/03

Grrrh. I've only just installed DirectX 9.0A!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You don't have to uninstall, and it takes only a couple minutes to refresh you up. What I wasn't able to find and wanted to put up were the specific improvements that you might expect. I'm sure they will be on the gamer sites, and maybe some video sound--I couldn't find it yet on a few beta sights I just noticed it through the security patch--it was mentioned in them middle of the patch bulletin.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you have DirectX 9.0a installed, install the 819696 patch. This is the difference between 9.0a and 9.0b versions.

If you have DirectX version prior to 9.0a, install version 9.0b.

Description of vulnerability:
    An attacker could seek to exploit this vulnerability by creating a specially crafted MIDI file that is designed to exploit this vulnerability and then host this file on a Web site or on a network share, or send it by means of an HTML e-mail message. If the file was hosted on a Web site or network share, the user would have to open the specially crafted file. If the file was embedded in a page, the vulnerability could be exploited when a user visits the Web page. If the file is sent in an HTML e-mail message, the vulnerability could be exploited when a user opens or previews the HTML e-mail message. A successful attack could either cause DirectShow or a program that is using DirectShow to fail, or it could cause an attacker's code to run on the user's computer in the security context of the user.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Yup you're right. I should have realized and said that--although if you did just install direct X (9b) and tell me if I'm wrong, I think you're going to arrive with the same 9([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] and the same files.

SMBP