3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

bad footer and bottom margin (2000)

I am having a terrible time getting some footer text into a bottom margin on one document. I want the bottom margin to be 1" with a 1 line footer inside that. No matter what I do I can't get teh 1" margin. I've tried using -1, setting the distance to edge (what that's mean anyway, edge of what?) of the footer from everything from 0 to 1" and it still won't work. The help system is worthless. I don't usually have this problem tho I use this format all the time. Can anyone help?? Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: bad footer and bottom margin (2000)

You asked something similar a few days ago. I tried to explain what the settings meant in <post#=276207>post 276207</post#>, with an illustration. You didn't react to that. Can you - taking the illustration in mind - explain what is unclear?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, What you said is perfectly clear, but Word is just _not_ acting that way. The best way to describe it, is that Word seems to be adding the 2 values together (footer + bottom margin adds to make the last line of text stop much higher on the page). The doc is double spaced -- maybe that is part of it...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you make the footer text single-spaced, either by modifying the Footer style (recommended), or by formatting the footer text directly? In a test document, that works fine for me.

Note : my ruler is in centimeters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry -- I was unclear -- the body text is dbl spaced. The footer (style) is already single spaced. The distance between the edge of the page (sheet) and the body text is about 2" BTW, even tho I set the margin to 1".

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you post a copy of the document? Remove most of its contents, especially sensitive or confidential stuff.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a piece that I can release -- attached. Thanks for your help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In your sample document the footer consists of one line of text followed by six blank paragraphs. The effect of those six paragraphs is to push your footer text an inch or so higher than it would otherwise be. That then has the consequential effect of ending your body text higher up the page so as not to overwrite the footer.
    Simply delete the blank paragraphs in your footer and you will have a one-line footer near the edge of the page and the body text will end much lower down.
    If, after deleting the blank paras you find that your footer no longer appears on the printed page then you have a problem to do with the non-printing area on the page, but that's a different isuue.
    HTH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Aghhh... that was too easy. Wish I could stand to leave the para mark annuciators on, then I might have caught it myself.

Thanks much to both of you for your help!