1. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clip Art Gallery (Office XP)

When I searched for clipart I used to get lots of matches and there would be an icon indication whether it was local or online. I've got a different computer and so installed office again; now I only get the local clipart and there are no icons. I can click to search online; but it was so handy before. Any idea where that setting is?

TIA
    egghead

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Clip Art Gallery (Office XP)

Hi egghead--

Possibly you need to get it by going to:

Start>Programs>Microsoft Office Tools>Click>Clip Organizer and then once you're in the Clip Organizer you can search as you always have. As you probably know the Clip Organizer is divided into four collections My Collections, Office Collections, Shared Collections, Web Collections. Clip Organizer has its own separate Help available in the Clip Organizer window.

Also as soon as you start a search in Clip Organizer, or the Insert Clip Art Taskpane a gallery of thumbnails or icons for drawings, photos, sounds, and other media files appears in the pane. If a clip isn't installed on your computer, you'll see an icon in the lower-left corner of the thumbnail that tells you where the clip is located.

Does this get it there for you? Very nice hat.

Added SMBP: You might also try the Category "Troubleshoot Clip Organizer Help" once that dialogue box for Clip Organizer comes up and you click on Clip Organizer's independent Help.

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I also know that with some Office Installations before I started checking this on a custom installation, in order to get Microsoft Office Tools under "M" on your programs menu, I've have had to put the Office XP CD in, click "Custom Installation" and click and install it from there. This is how to get it onto your programs menu if you don't see it.

SMBP

5. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

egghead--

Have you gotten the degree of access to the clipart icons and functionality/access you want? I believe that simply getting "MS Office Tools" installed on your programs menu and clicking on "Microsoft Clip Organizer" on the sub-menu will put a clip art Icon on your Office Toolbar and you have a lot of options from there--even of course reconfiguring the icon itself or subbing a new one and putting the icon wherever you want. If not, post back and if this isn't exactly what you're after, let me know.

SMBP

6. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do have Office Tools on my Programs menu already. But my Organizer does not display the icons.

When I use the Insert Clip Art button within Word, the task pane comes up. I can search, but none of those results have the icon either. The only way I can get the web ones is to actually click Clips Online under "See Also".
    egghead

7. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

egghead--

Although the odds are possibly this isn't it, since doing this doesn't take long, I wonder if it might be worth putting in the disk and reinstalling MS Office Tools to refresh any files that might have gotten corrupt, running Detect and Repair in Office and in case any Windows files impact running Clip Art Gallery or the browser's in searching running System File Checker putting in your Windows XP or Windows OS CD as long as it's not ME? SFC in Win 98 actually does some repairing of Office files.

222193: Description of SFC

SMBP

8. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to dig more deeply into this as soon as I can. As I understand, you have the icon, you have the icon in Word, and when you go to Programs, you have the Clip Organizer in Microsoft Office Tools (and the resulting CO dialogue box), and clicking it brings up the Clip Organizer Dialogue box but the search is not executing properly when it comes to clip art on the web.

Finding More Clips On Line
    Organize Media Clips in Office XP

I'll have another look at the KB on Clips and work with them a little more myself. Tell me if I don't seem to understand what's going on with your clip search.

SMBP

9. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

10. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried all three, no change. Any other ideas???
    egghead

11. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Not yet, but appreciate the follow up, and now I'll go back after it. I don't use a lot of clip art, but I will try to see what else can help--assume you mean SFC was among "all three" and you looked at the KB's--will try hard to come up with workable solution.

SMBP

12. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

13. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This looks like promising information. However, when I go to my registry I only have three scopes: My Computer, My Email, My Projects. The section about Disabling search scopes states that Web Collections and Shared Collections can be enabled by setting a subkey in the registry, but doesn't tell how to do it. I searched for information on "enabling search scopes", but came up blank. I'm logged in as a power user, not administrator. Does that affect what's visible in the registry? I'm hoping you can steer me in the right direction.
    egghead

14. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Egghead--

Short answer. I read the search article and agree you're onto something and you can read or write to the registry as a Power User. It always helps me whether working with IE or Office to know the OS.

That's a very good question, but the answer is probably absolutely yes. If you're using NT-XP that you have read/write privliges. Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP provide the ability to set permissions on keys in the registry but not actual values. Under normal use, there should be no need to change permissions in the registry. The Windows operating system or the programs installed should be designed to assign the appropriate permission to registry keys.

So if this is your machine for personal use, unless you made a point to tighten security in the registry, i.e. focused on certain keys to assign permissions, it is unlikely that you would have any access blocked to read or write in the registry. That would only come up in all probability if it were a machine at work or school, and someone else were calling the shots through Group Policy Editor or Securiy Configuration Manger (SCM)--tools that allow administrators to configure security settings for individual machinesor on any number of machines on some type of network.

You haven't told me your OS, and I don't know if you installed the OS or it is part of a different environment? Are you on your own computer where you set permissions when you're working with the clip art (I'm thinking you are) but ACL lists can be set for individual keys, they can be audited, and so forth. Policies can be set for access. What OS? Your machine? An alternative Registry Editor (REGEDT32.EXE) is available for use with Windows NT/2000/XP. It includes some additional features not found in the standard version, including; the ability to view and modify security permissions. You can specify anonymous remote access that is which keys users are allowed to access remotely unless this has been overidden.

Registry Settings
    System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSe curePipeServers
    winregAllowedPaths]
    Value Name: Machine
    Data Type: REG_MULTI_SZ (Multi-String Value)

Keep in mind Kelly's caveat in the article below that:

Since Power Users can install or modify programs, running as a Power User when connected to the Internet could make the system vulnerable to Trojan horse programs and other security risks.

For ref on reg. security see:

Kelly's XP Over View of Windows XP Groups
    Registry Security Settings Technet

How to Use the RestrictAnonymous Registry Value in Windows 2000
    Security Registry Keys
    General Computer Security Windows Registry

I will try to find someone consistently involved in clip art to try to get this solved; sorry it's been dragging so long.

SMBP

15. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I just ran accross this which should be included in referencing KB's on registry security setting:

314837: How to Manage Remote Access to the Registry (in Windows XP should apply to NT, 2000)

SMBP

16. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 1.

I am able to change values in the Registry, as I've done it for other things.

I had someone else log in to my computer and check, same problem, so that should eliminate my user profile.
    egghead