2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Program error (Access 97)

Hello Access Gurus,

I am wondering why I am getting the following Program Error in Access 97 at various times. It reads, MSACCESS.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

There does not seem to be any consistent pattern that displays this message.

I look forward to a response.

Cheers,

Jocelyn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Program error (Access 97)

Hi Jocelyn,

I think it will be difficult for Loungers to determine the cause. The error message you mention is very general, it doesn't give any specific information. The error log is only useful to Microsoft techies, it very seldom contains anything comprehensible to mere mortals. And if you're not able to find a pattern, well...

Some general tips:
    <UL><LI>Make sure that you have Office 97 SR-2 and that you have installed Jet 3.5 SP3. See ACC97: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 Available for Download for details about this service pack.
    <LI>If you have code in your databases, make sure that it's compiled (in any module, select Debug | Compile and Save All Modules)
    <LI>Compact your databases on a regular basis (if you have installed Jet 3.5 SP3, Compact is in fact Compact and Repair rolled into one)
    <LI>If the problem occurs most often in one particular database, consider creating a blank new database and importing all objects from the problem database. You will have to set startup options anew, and you may have to check some references (Tools | References... in any module)[/list]Sorry not to be able to offer more specific help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your quick response HansV. I don't have the update to MS Jet 3.5. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Jocelyn

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I currently use Access 97 and 2000 on the same PC. I have checked Service packs and found that I have only Office 97 SP-1. I have since downloaded SR-2 but am having problems installing because I only have Access 97 installed and not other Office 97 applications. It is saying that I don't have Office 97 installed for the update process. I am using Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint 2000 but I also need to maintain other Access 97 databases.

Is there any way to apply the Office 97 SR-2 to Access 97 only? I can't install Jet 3.5 SP3 until this is installed.

Looking forward to your response.

Jocelyn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That MSKB article isn't showing up on the Microsoft site, but what it says essentially is that either your downloaded service pack is corrupted, the version number of one of the office apps (in your case msaccess.exe) is earlier than the one included in SR-1, or the registry key that points to the mso97.dll is incorrect. The registry key should be something like this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftShared Toolsmso97.dll<Path>

Where <Path> represents the actually location of the mso97.dll, including the file name. Here's the key from my registry:

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice8OfficeMSO97.DLL

The mso97.dll will be there even if you only installed Access, so you shouldn't need to uninstall anything, and service packs for Office apply even if only a single application is installed. The Office library gets installed anyhow, even if you don't install the full Office suite.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by HansV on 26-Jul-03 16:45. Corrected link (thanks to Charlotte))</P>I am sorry, I have never try to install only Access myself. You may have to uninstall Office 2000, then upgrade Access 97, or even temporarily install all of Office 97, then reinstall Office 2000.

I hope that somebody else can help.
    (In the meantime, look at the following MSKB article: OFF97: SR-2 Patch Fails Even Though SR-1 Was Installed)