Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't access internet (XP Pro, SP1a)

Once more I access this uniquely valuable site, having failed to find anything useful in the help files, MS KB or a big fat Windows XP book . . . .
    My PC is set up for two users - myself, with an administrator account, and my wife with a limited account. I have a dial-up internet connection which works OK when I am logged on, but when my wife logs on and clicks the IE icon she gets a message to the effect that "You do not have the privilege to run the the internet connection wizard". Same thing happens if I change her account type to administrator. If she logs on and accesses Network Connections or IE options through the control panel, everything looks OK.
    The PC is on a peer-peer network via a wireless adapter, and I haven't yet enabled internet connection sharing. I also have Norton Internet Security installed.
    Please help to prevent domestic violence by frustrated wife!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't access internet (XP Pro, SP1a)

Logon to your wife

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't access internet (XP Pro, SP1a)

Thanks caplinb - that seems to have worked . . . but how? I guess IE has per-user settings in the registry that define the options including the connection details.
    Where can I learn how to do this sort of stuff for myself? All the XP books I have looked at seem very basic, telling you how to use the wizards to do various things, without giving you a clue about what happens under the hood.
    With WIN 98 I found that O'Reilly's "Windows 98 in a nutshell" was pretty good - can you recommend anyhing similar for WIN XP?

Georege C (UK)
    George Coulthard