Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Document Imaging (XP)

XP's default program for opening tif files is Picture & Fax Viewer. I am unable to use this program because it doesn't compress well enough for some third-party software unique to my industry. I don't like the image viewing software included with my third-party software. I would like to use MS Office Document Imaging as the program to open tif files, as I've been told it works fine with our other software. Someone told me that Document Imaging is one of the programs with XP. When I go to Add Programs I don't see it. Where can I find it?
    Someone also told me that they use Kodak Imaging on their XP machines to view tif files. We have several 98 machines here in the office that use Kodak Imaging and we don't have the problem with this other software. Is it possible to copy that program to a network folder and then install/add it to my XP machine? If possible, how exactly would I do that? Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Document Imaging (XP)

Kodak is not included with XP - see:
    MSKB 308979 - Kodak Imaging for Windows Is Not Included with Windows XP
    although they do suggest alternatives.

MS Office Document Imaging is included with Office XP - check:
    Start > Programs > Microsoft Office Tools . . .
    If it is not there, it may not have been installed by default.

(Kellys-Korner provides a method to import the Kodak program, but it looks a tad messy to me...)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Pam--

I just went to use the Document Imaging Tool to compare it with Omni Page Pro's features, and when I clicked onto it I had to install it (I thought I had with Microsoft Office Tools) and put in the CD yet again, the first time the Tools must make a file available for you. But it only takes 3 minutes.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Pam--

Take a look at
    the screen shot on this Lounge Office Thread "Clip Art Gallery" Post 278066.

I also also screen shot below where you go to get the tool after you go to your Office CD and install it.

To get the Microsoft Document Imaging Tool and Microsoft Photo Editor which is what you're after, put in your Office CD-Rom and using the Installation Wizard, from a Custom Install select Microsoft Office Tools and among the other useful features in tools, like Microsoft Clip Organizer (there are 10 items on the submenu) is Microsoft Photo Editor and when you install it it will be listed under "M" in your programs. I have screenshots of it in the links, and it's contexted here with screenshots you can enlarge from
    Paul Thurott's Installing Office XP. This will also introduce you, if you haven't been to them, to two very helpful sites, Winsupersite and Wininformant.

Here's Where You Can Download the Add-In Microsoft Office Document Imaging Help File as a companion to it.

Winsupersite announces new and future applications and has minitutorials, and Wininformant keeps up with Microsoft company and product developments and also third party apps or companies impacted or impacting MS. Both sites are searchable and link to each other.

To follow up on Leif's suggestion, you have to go to the disk and get Microsoft Office Tools. You'll be able to do this easily with Paul's screenshots of the Office install wizard. I can never quite fathom why in the case of Office or Windows, MS just doesn't install some of these basic features. They don't take up a high percent of real-estate and they can always be uninstalled or custom install tweaked later. The policy generates confusion and a mini-scavenger hunt for the feature. Sometimes the strangest idea flash pops into my head using Office and XP as well--couldn't they have tied all these things together in one place and one installation instead of building in the game of Redmond Raider's of the Lost Arc? Once you know these things are scattered--and where it's no big deal. But I feel badly for the people who want to use the features and can't find them for a while--happened to me once and who will never see the help file because they have to search Microsoft's Office sites to find it exists.

If you want more functionality than MS Document Imaging gives you, I recommend Omni Page Pro 12 as does Microsoft Press Pass on the Document Imaging Tool's Release their promotional PR press releases.

HTH--if you have any trouble finding it and getting it in just post back and we'll help.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Pam--

This is a link on installing the Kodak document imaging tool, but if you're willing to follow the steps on Kelly's site (another great resource particularly the A-Z section Leif linked you to) see Kelly's XP Korner 15 Separate Sections 400 Plus Tweaks it looks like he has found a way for you to make this happen. I couldn't find any others in a search.

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, guys. I was out of the office Friday afternoon so hopefully I'll check into your suggestions today!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Guys, I've mis-represented myself. I have a Windows XP machine with Office 2000 software. I put in the CD and tried installing everything under Office Tools. I still don't have Document Imaging, though it did install a couple of piece of new software. I'm doing the installation from Maintenance Mode, which is what comes up after selecting Add New Programs with the CD in. Do I have to uninstall all of Office 2000 and reinstall to get the regular install wizard that lets me select custom?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Pam--

When you put in the Office 2000 CD, see if you can go to the Installation Wizard not Maintainance Mode, and Select Office Tools from the Custom Install and if you have already and they aren't all showing up just click to install Office Tools. Because of it's wonderful redundancy, once you install Office Tools, and you click the icon of the component you want, it's going to ask you to install the CD again to install each component--at least that's what happened when I went to look at the Document Imaging Tool. The name bar of the box (shown in the first link below) should say Microsoft Office 2000: Selecting Features

Installing Microsoft Office 2000 See Screenshots:

Installing Office XP: Paul Thurrott's Screen Shots here. I believe there should be no difference in 2000 here.

How To Install Office XP Tools

HTH,

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not making any progress! I put in the CD, go to my D drive and try to open it from there. It will not open. If I go to Run and type D:setup.exe it will run but then bumps me right to Maintenance Mode. If I go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and select Microsoft Office 2000 & Change it bumps me right to Maintenance Mode. From Maintenance Mode I have tried to Add and I've even clicked the Repair button and reinstalled Office but I am never given the option to select a type of install. Every time I am bumped right to the Maintenance Mode screen. I'm sure with all of the instructions I've been given I will be able to install the Document Imaging but my problem is how do I get to that Install Wizard to select Custom? Thanks for any help!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is this a retail copy or a OEM copy that came with the computer?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Retail. It originally was installed by our outside tech support before I started to work here.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Pam--

You've run detect and repair, I think, and you actually reinstalled Office 2000 which I was going to suggest--maybe different drive--I'm really stumped--and this is lamer than I wish but you have one card that will get this solved in you hand. Microsoft Office Tech Support and a number of them are excellent will support installation problems or hotfix problems free--not one of your incidents, and I believe this would qualify. It'll take you a few minutes to call and see.

Sorry I don't have a solution--thought it would be easier.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Pam--

I can't help thinking that there is something simple keeping your from loading the document imaging tool. I tried to read up on Maintainance Mode--because when I have gone back to my Office XP Pro CD to get Office Tools, it just seems to be the setup much like I went out on the web to search for in Office 2000--so if there were slight differences in my XP set up and 2000 I wouldn't misrepresent 2000.

One thing in one of the links I read struck me, and maybe some Office setup Maven will chime in. I don't know if there are some people who read the Word and Office parts of the lounge harder than XP, and if you would get a solution on them, but I do know plenty of people read both. I hope one of these points might help. I went to the XP CD to Add Microsoft Office Tools a year or so ago, and when I clicked the Document Wizard I had to put it in again to get it in. But I didn't make any stops at add/remove/add windows components as the books discuss, and I know you don't need to, but you might try it and see if Adding Office Tools from there helps by going there and radio buttoning Add/Remove Office features.

From Office XP Inside Out: Microsoft Press Woody Leonhard's Office XP had essentially the same discussion:

"You can rerun Office Setup in maintenance mode to add or remove specific features [or] to reinstall Office XP or if you've been having serious problems with Office XP or one of the files or one of the registry files is corrupted."

So for whatever reason, maybe trying to add from add/remove may get you there. The other point from the books is that once you've installed Office, Maintenance Mode is the normal default.

Take a look at these:

Deployment Issues Specific to Windows 2000 with Office XP

Is it possible that some other person who works with you in Sys. Admin. in your office through Active Directory Group Policy Objects has tweaked the setup so that you can't load new components like those of MS Office Tools? While the link is the reverse of what you have, the same features are available for Windows XP in installing Office 2000 which is the setup you have.

The reason I ask is that the first link mentions this, and I've seen several demos of Office installations by MS showcasing the degree of control on each individual machine with AD/GPO as you know:

"When you use the Windows 2000 software installation, you can specify a transform to apply at the time the Office XP package is assigned or published. When users run Office XP Setup in maintenance mode, Windows 2000 also allows you to customize the text and options that appear in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. For example, to prevent users from changing an installed Office configuration, you can set the Setup property ARPMODIFY to True in the transform. When users run Office XP Setup in maintenance mode, the Change button in Add/Remove Programs is unavailable.For more information about using Windows 2000 Group Policy and software installation tools to deploy Office XP, see Using Windows 2000 Software Installation."

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Pam--

There may not be anything you can draw from this Outlook Add-in KB for Small Business Manager, , but I thought I'd show it to you in case.

235009: OL2002: Error Message: <Path> is Not a Valid Office Add-in

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, SMBP for being so tenatious in trying to help me solve my problem. I took your suggestion and called Microsoft Support. We were able to resolve the issue. Office 2000 does not come with Document Imaging! So I guess I'll go to my boss and ask if he is willing to upgrade to Office XP or purchase Kodak imaging for all of our XP operating systems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast