New Lounger
    Thanks

Section Breaks (Word 2002)

When I insert a section break (next page) before a paragraph formatted with a style that contains spacing before, the spacing before is not suppressed. I have gone into Tools, Options, Compatibility and selected "Suppress Space Before after page and column breaks" and "Suppress extra line spacing at top of page" but those options do not seem to suppress spacing before when a section break next page is inserted. Any ideas? Thanks.

Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Section Breaks (Word 2002)

I agree it is annoying. Can you live with a continuous section break immediately followed by a page break? The "Suppress Space Before after page and column breaks" compatibility setting will work in that case.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Section Breaks (Word 2002)

Hi Hans,

I had thought of that option, but I was wondering if anyone else had found a more elegant solution. It looks like that's the best way to fix the formatting, so I'll live with it. It's kind of weird that the compatibility option will suppress after page breaks and column breaks, but not section breaks. Oh well..... Thanks very much for the reply.

Linda

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Space Before & Section Breaks (Word 2002)

Hi Linda:
    A paragraph starts at the top of the page for the following reasons:

1. The paragraph is the first paragraph in the document or section.
    2. The paragraph naturally falls at the top of the page because it has exceeded the margin on the preceding page.
    3. The paragraph has the "keep with next" or attribute set, and that setting causes the paragraph to appear at the top of the page.
    4. The paragraph has the "page break before" attribute set, which forces the paragraph to begin at the top of a new page.
    5. The paragraph is preceded by a manual page or column break.

The rule is that if Word forces the paragraph to the top of the page, the space is suppressed; if you place it at the top of the page, even using "page break before", the space remains. Word maintains any space before the paragraph, except in two instances: if the paragraph naturally falls at the top of the page (number 2 above), or if the "keep with next" attribute is set (number 3 above).

The bottom line is that there is only one way to make sure that Word doesn't display space before a paragraph that occurs at the top of a page: to format the paragraph so it doesn't have space before it, either using direct formatting or by not using the "space before" attribute. The drawback to such an approach, however, is that if you make edits to the document and the specially formatted paragraph no longer appears at the top of the page, you will need to correct the formatting for the paragraph so the proper space appears before it.
    Regards,