5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best approach (Access 97)

I have a maintenance database. There are 26 preventive maintenance periods in the year. A piece of equipment may need to have PM done 1, 2, 3 or more times a year. I currently have one field for each period, as yes/no check boxes. But I am coming to the conclusion that may be a nightmare when trying to get results for period 12 or whatever. Is there a better approach to the issue. If I just use a text box with numbers entered like 1,4,8,12 you have to use *1* in the criteria to get the results. I don't want the user to have to do this. I created a query to test. I tried Like "*[Forms]![frmReports]![txtTest]*" and that didn't work. How do I filter for one period entered as a 1 in a textbox, data type of text, where there are multiple entries 1,4,8,12 etc. I am having the user come from a form that allows them to enter values for different reports.

Thank you.
    Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Best approach (Access 97)

>>But I am coming to the conclusion that may be a nightmare

That's what I meant in <post#=277308>post 277308</post#>. I would create a separate table with two fields: EquipmentID and MaintenancePeriod, plus (if necessary) additional fields containing period-specific info. This table would contain multiple records for one piece of equipment - if equipment item # 9002 has preventive maintenance in periods 1, 4, 8 and 12, there would be records

<table border=1><td>EquipmentID</td><td>MaintenancePeriod</td><td align=right>9002</td><td align=right>1</td><td align=right>9002</td><td align=right>4</td><td align=right>9002</td><td align=right>8</td><td align=right>9002</td><td align=right>12</td></table>
    This table would be linked to tblEquipment on EquipmentID, with referential integrity set.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Try using :

<pre>Like "*" & [Forms]![frmReports]![txtTest] & "*"</pre>

But if you enter 1 in txtTest, then the query results would find anything with a 1 in it , including 12 etc.

If you don't want to keep the 26 yes/no fields, the alternative would be to put the maintenance periods into a separate table. This would just have a key field, an itemid as a foreign key and a number (1 to 26).
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't see the forest for the trees. I should have known that. Thanks. Sorry to take your time. Fay