New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail merge????? (Office 2000 Premium)

Just opened a new document to print a few things. Went to TOOLS and to my surprise there are 8 "MAIL MERGE..." and the normal one with the arrow. I have never used mail merge and have no idea how all these entries got there. I tried a repair, then a un-install and re-install and they are still there! Can one of you fine folks tell em how they might have gotten there AND most of all HOW to delete them??? Many thanks in advance....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail merge????? (Office 2000 Premium)

I can only guess how they got there. You could have added them with keyboard shortcuts accidentally. If you press Alt+Ctrl+Plus on the main keyboard, the cursor changes to a thick arrow. It will then add a command that you click on to a menu. Add-ins can also add menu items. You could have multiple global templates that have added items. Anyhow, I would follow the steps listed in Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word.
    Cheers,

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

Multile mail merge entries on the Tools menu is an issue that appears quite a lot in some of the MS Word newsgroups. The following is from one of MVP Suzanne Barnhill's replies:

<hr>You can remove them easily enough, but they will keep coming back until you take care of the cause.

1. Open Tools | Customize. With the dialog open, open the Tools menu and drag all but one of the Mail Merge entries off.

2. Close Word. Go to Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the Works Suite Add-in for Word. This will prevent more Mail Merge items from being added.

You can, of course, do these in reverse as well. If you are concerned about what you might lose by uninstalling the add-in (which does not uninstall Works Suite itself), here is MVP Beth Melton's summary of what it does:

The "Works Suite Add-in" doesn't do much. It allows you to use a Works database as a mail merge data source, use the Works Mail Merge Wizard, and a few other minor options.

What it does poorly in Word is what it's best-known for. <g>

It will clear the Clipboard when Word starts, overpopulate or underpopulate the Mail Merge command under the Tools menu, add overall instability of Word, modify and save the Normal.dot each time Word exits, causing file bloat and ultimately the corruption of Normal.dot, and those are just the main items that crop up.<hr>

Regards.

Ed

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ed & Phil too,

Ed, I did as you posted. Appears to solved issue. Will wait & see. thanks a lot.

Phil, I got most of that stuff but much of it was a bit heavy. So, I elected the method Ed suggested. At this point anyway. Thank you!

This is wonderful forum for the "Office Stuff".