Lounger
    Thanks

Msgsrv32 Not Responding

I am regularly subjected to system crashes that appear to be related to IE6 activity, web freezes, and the like (although perhaps that is merely a symptom). I more often than not unable to shut down normally and have to forcibly cut the power and rerun scan disc on reboot. I have win98 se with all updated patches running on the system. I have reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled all software (the essentials) on multiple occasions (not recent); however that merely serves as a temporary reprieve.

Of all the "(not responding)" messages I see when I contol-alt-delete to see what programs are frozen and not shutting down normally, "Msgsrv32 (not responding)" is most frequent. For example, my cable modem appeared to be dying according to tech support at Interquest so I went out yesterday and purchased a surfboard sb5100 and had a heck of time configuring the Netgear rp614 router (turned out to be my fault, I had two computers connected and the router kept trying to assign the same ip address to both computers).

All afternoon the computer kept crashing and "Msgsrv32 (not responding)" was my nemesis companion to BSOD. Does anyone know what this program is and why it would crash so frequently, i.e., is it a symptom of some problem, and/or is there a cure? (other than upgrading my computer which is still a couple of years off).

Thanks for your help
    Sat Kartar

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Msgsrv32 Not Responding

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 26-Jul-03 18:37. )</P>Hi Sat:
    There could be a lot of reasons. All I was able to do is search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for various error messages. It is helpful if you post the exact error message. Nevertheless, I was able to come up with these articles. Perhaps one of them would solve your problem.
    Cheers,

Lounger
    Thanks

I had looked at some of those articles, the following excerpt seems to apply in a general way:

"Function of the Windows 32-Bit Message Server
    Msgsrv32.exe is a program that runs invisibly on the Windows desktop and performs several background functions necessary for Windows operation. These functions include:

Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at shutdown.
    Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell if it fails to respond. "

The most frequent BSOD message I receive has to do with progams causing faults in Kernel32, but often the computer simply stops responding and the error message "Msgsrvr32 (not responding)" is the only portent of an imminent hang with restarting the computer eventually necessary.

I believe that as far as web surfing goes this pattern may be a symptom of Msgsrvr32 being unable to get Explorer to respond because "Explorer (not responding)" is the second most frequent symptom/message. Sometimes forcibly closing Explorer will fix the problem temporarily, usually just choosing "end task" for Msgsrvr32 results in the computer being unable to print or some other essential function failing within a short time.

Perhaps the problem with the shut down process freezing has to do with Msgsvr32 failing to unload Windows drivers, at least that would be a wild guess.

I am not sure the problem can be narrowed down to one source of software conflict, which is what I had hoped for. What may work would be systematically eliminating programs running in the background to see whether removal contributes to less frequent "(not responding)" messages.

Thanks for your help
    SK

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One thing I should have suggested before is to go to Start/Run & type
    sfc
    then <enter>. Run the System File Checker to see if any of your essential files are corrupt.

Lounger
    Thanks

I began sfc and did see some "corrupt" files but I'm afraid I don't know how to differentiate between truly corrupt files and those that have been updated through Windows update or some other installed application. Is there some way to tell the difference?

I chose "update verification" twice and then cancelled sfc after it did not give any verification about when files had been changed, perhaps I was verifying that the files had been updated?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

SFC does more than show corrupt files. It will show deleted & updated files also. However, the message is different. If the file is corrupt, SFC will tell you it's corrupt & offer you a chance to replace it. You can either look on your hard drive if you've kept the files somewhere on the drive, or put in the original Win 98 CD & replace the file from there. I hope this works for you.

Lounger
    Thanks

I ran SFC and it recommended restoring the following 6 files: mfcui32.dll, olepro32.dll, setupx.dll, mfc30.dll, mfcans32.dll, and mfco30.dll.

The most SFC will commit is that the above system files "may" be corrupted. It also gives an option to update verification if you "know the file has been updated."

Which to me begs the question, with all the Windows updates that go on, how would I know whether or not these system files have been updated or have become corrupted?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One thing you can do is to go to the MS DLL Database & look up each of the ones you have to see if they are the correct versions. But perhaps you can post a screenshot of the message you receive when you run SFC. I seem to recall that you get a different message with a corrupt file than with one that has changed because it's been updated.

Lounger
    Thanks

That is a great reference. I have checked the versions of the files in my System folder, and they alI correspond to what the MS Dll Library lists for win98SE. Restoring the files would seem to be in order. I want to verify that the files on my Win98 SE install CD are the same versions before going ahead with any restoration.

Incidentally, Microsoft Knowledge base states that Setupx.dll is incorrectly identified as corrupt by Win98SE because the SFC verification table is not up to date, so it seems wise to be cautious before making changes. I like your idea about providing a screenshot, unfortunately I don't know how to take one so I'll have to defer that option; however, aside from taking my word about what SFC states, the problem with verifying Setupx.dll suggests that SFC does not any absolute means of identifying corrupt files.

Since installing the new cable modem and reconfiguring the router, I have updated the vtcp.386 file and installed the 98SE NIDS intermediate drivers patch, as recommended on the downloads page for tweaking broadband at speedguide.net. Since I am not currently experiencing problems with Explorer freezing (and just completed a clean install of all software on our other computer last weekend), I'm afraid this will be on the back burner for a bit. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.