3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Switch/Router Differences and Problems

OK, I am trying to add to this network for a small company, but I have a ran into a few snags, and I have not sure how to get around them. I know this is for home networks, but I hope I can get some input here.

What they have is a cable modem that goes into a gateway. That gateway goes into a switch, then a link goes into another swtich ( i think its a switch, not sure) . From the device that I am not sure of, I have tried to put a switch and a router (not at the same time) but I ran into issues for each.

With the router, I can get the computers to the internet, but I can only get the computers on the router to network with each other, but not anything before the router. So in essence what I get is 2 networks: One with all the devices on the router and another with all the devices before the router. I tried to poke holes in the router firewall, but no luck.

With the switch, I can get all the machines networked together, but the machines on the new switch cannot get to the internet. Furthermore, one machine running Win 98 will not work at all for some reason. I have tried running the netsetup from Windows XP on that machine, but no luck

So I guess what I am looking for is ideas to the problem and a breakdown between a switch, router and hub

I know this is for home networks, and this is for a small company. To be honest, I am not sure why there network is so funky, considering they only have about 8 people.

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Switch/Router Differences and Problems

Too much stuff.
    Here is what they need.
    Modem for the internet. Modem/Routers with 4 port switches are available but I do not use them.
    Connect a Switch/Router combo to the modem (this will include a basic firewall).
    The switch can have as many ports (8 in this case) as you need.
    Connect from the PCs to the Switch.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Switch/Router Differences and Problems

Here's a quick basic comparison of Hub/Switch/Router:

<UL><LI>Hub - a device for connecting a bunch of computers together within a network
    <LI>Switch - same thing as a hub, only it's designed to route the network traffic in a more optimized fashion (hence it's faster)
    <LI>Router - a device which routes information from one network to another[/list]When you stuck the router in the middle of your network, you effectively created two networks, one on each side of the router. What the router is used for, in your case, is to connect the company's network to the Internet (the ISP's network). So, all of the existing switches should be on one side of the router, and the Internet connection on the other. That should be the basic setup which will allow all computers on the network to access the Internet through the router.

- eric