3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AutoArchive (Outlook 2000 (Win98))

Hi

I've set Outlook up to automatically archive messages every day (via Tools/Options/Other/AutoArchive). I've gone through each message folder and set the archive conditions correctly (via RightClick/Properties/AutoArchive). But the archive isn't taking place, even though some items qualify for archiving.

Notes:
    <UL><LI>I've checked that the archive folder is valid in both Tools/Options/Other/AutoArchive and RightClick/Properties/AutoArchive. (Although the archive itself doesn't exist yet, of course, since the archive has never run successfully.)
    <LI>An odd thing is that, if I go File/Open/PersonalFolders, Outlook tries to find the archive on the A drive.
    <LI>A possibly confounding issue is that Outlook is installed on the C drive, but (because space is short on C) the archive folder is on D (the second hard drive).[/list]Any ideas?[/list]Some further information [added later]:
    <UL><LI>The daily autoarchive doesn't seem to even start. At least, nothing appears on the status bar.
    <LI>I can manually archive some files, but not others.
    <LI>Many of the messages have been imported from OutlookExpress, but that doesn't seem to be the cause of some archiving and not others.[/list]

Thanks
    Dale

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoArchive (Outlook 2000 (Win98))

Dale
    I'm assuming that you are using PST files.
    While I cannot directly help or mimic your system ('cos I'm on 2002) I'd suggest that it may be worth experimenting by
    a) delete all reference to alternative archive locations
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] run an archive (which should create an archive.pst in your default location)
    c) modify the file reference for archives to your 'ideal' location
    d) copy that archive.pst to your 'ideal' location

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoArchive (Outlook 2000 (Win98))

Thanks, Andrew

I've now tried a number of things, without success. My tentative conclusion is that the problem arose because the messages have been imported from Outlook Express. Anyway, I've "solved" the problem by creating an archive, opening it, and manually dragging items to the archive. I think future archiving will work okay.

As a matter of interest, my main motivation for moving from Outlook Express to Outlook was because of file size. I wanted to be able to archive a message without it's attachment. (I would either delete the attachment, or save it separately.) I've now found a free add-on that seems to do the trick quite nicely, called Attachment Executive Lite . It even has a setting to replace the attachment with a shortcut to where you've saved it.

Thanks for your help
    Dale