Star Lounger
    Thanks

Address integration Access/Outlook (2000 OR XP)

I am writing a volunteer database in Access which I would like to integrate with Outlook - bulk emails/letters to volunteers, by category of volunteer etc. I have Office 2000 at home, but Office XP at the charity's office.

Does XP handle this kind of integration better (via Smart tags, maybe?) ? Should I step up to XP at home to be able to develop this properly? Any suggestions of good ways of going about this?

Many thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Address integration Access/Outlook (2000 OR XP)

Drinking helps. Actually, it doesn't make it any easier, you just don't care as much.

You might want to check-out Helen Fedema's Website for tips on Office integration.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you wanting to store contact information in both Outlook and Access? If so it get's pretty complicated - I would look at using Automation with the "real" data being stored in Access, and using Automation to update the comparable records in Outlook. If you only really need the contact data to generate emails, you might look seriously at the Word "merge to e-mail" feature. We've used it successfully to do as many as 30,000 customized emails, though if you get to that volume there are some other issues - presumably your task isn't that large.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did something like this when my wife ran a 25 year reunion for her school. I did it all out of access, and built a form for sending the emails personalized to any cross section of the alumnae. I did not use Outlook at all.