Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

text size (6.0.2800.1106.xsp1.020828-192)

1. How do I setup IE6 so that each time I load the program the text size will always be the same (i.e. smaller)
    2. Some "help" sources suggest that I can adjust "text size" under the following tab Internet Options/Accessibility; however, I do not find a "text size" option under this tab setting. Any help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: text size (6.0.2800.1106.xsp1.020828-192)

The text size you set in View | Text Size Internet Explorer should be "sticky" - it is stored in the registry (on my system in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerInternationalScripts3). Is there some kind of policy that prevents you from storing settings in the registry?

The dialog you get by clicking Accessibility... in the General tab of Tools | Internet Options... has some check boxes to ignore the font styles and text sizes specified in web pages. The stylesheets used by the Lounge, for instance, set most font sizes explicitly, therefore the setting in View | Text Size has no influence on how you see a Lounge page, unless you check the box to ignore the setting in the web page.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hans--

I've been using "ignore font size on all pages" to scroll--do you know how to modify those values and what you can do with them? I'm not sure what they do and the two values for the subkey "Scripts6" as well. Using three XP registry books, I can find info on the font size values for the command prompt only, and only in one. I'd also appreciate a reference web/book where you have gotten this info--or have you experiemented to get it?

Thanks,

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Barry--

I make that checkbox work for me it's one of the most useful little tips I learned about Windows and IE early on. You can see if it works well for you. I put a checkmark in the box to ignore font sizes on various web pages. The huge upside of this for me is that anywhere I go, nearly all the text on any web page, no matter what the font, I can hit Ctrl + the scroll button on my mouse and scroll the size I want from normal to very large. To me that's great convenience. It overides whatever is on that View menu on the fly, and I can use the mouse like a light rheostat. Almost always it overrides whatever the web author has coded or defined in his style sheet. The one downside I experience is rare--once every several thousand web page views, I'll get a page that has text overlap--and when I do I just take the check out to view the page or site.

I would urge you to try it for a bit and see how you like it. I never pay any attention to text size on the IE view menu. I have never seen them stick and the check mark always does.

I'm glad to know about the key from Hans--I sure would be interested to know how to interpret and modify those values. I didn't feel the need with the checkmark, but now am curious to know what I could do.

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found an article by doing a Google internet search which gave me a solution that seems to work. The site was http://www.zdnet.co.uk/help/tips/story/0,2...7109396,00.html The solution "Launch REGEDIT and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain. In the right-hand pane, locate and delete the value Window_Placement. deleting this value is harmless, as it will be re-created when needed."
    Thanks to the author, Neil J. Rubenking -- it seems to work.
    Thanks for your input

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Barry--

I understand the window problem, it comes up all the time, and Neil Rubenking is a prolific author for ZD and helps run their labs and includes multiple worth while tips and articles in PC Mag as he has for years, but I can't connect that key and window size to font size.

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

I just searched HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftInternet Explorer for a likely candidate, then changed View | Text Size a few times to confirm that IEFontSize is the corresponding registry setting. On both my home and work PC's I only have ...InternationalScripts3, not ...InternationalScripts6.

The same way I found that the three check boxes in the Accessibility dialog correspond to "Always Use My Colors", "Always Use My Font Face" and "Always Use My Font Size" in HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerSettings.

That's all I know about it...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I have a very hard time linking the Window_Placement value and the Font sizes. Despite Neil's great body of work, I see no relation between the IE Font Sizes and Window_Placement. That does not compute. Window_Placement should set the position of IE relative to the Desktop -- it should have no bearing on the Font sizes. But, if it works for you....

All of Hans' and SMBP's information are 100% correct. I personally do not override the IE Font sizes, but several months ago I created a 'mini-program' that allows users to select or deselect this option on-the-fly. It can be stuck on the IE Toolbar for rapid access...

If I remember correctly, the Scripts/3 is for "US English" and the /6 is for another language -- hence, the "International" key.

Hans, if you are trying to watch for registry changes -- and you are doing it manually -- then you need to get RegShot. Makes life a lot easier....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the Regshot tip. Will give it a shot... (Frankly, I didn't go searching for arbitrary registry changes; I had already found the entries and changed my settings just to confirm that they were indeed the correct ones)

I don't understand how WindowPlacement is related to FontSize either, but it might just be that forcing this entry to be re-created from scratch forces other settings to be written to the registry.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi SMBP,

A Google for RegShot should come up with many links to download it, e.g.
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...id,19540,00.asp (not the most recent version)
    http://www.webattack.com/get/regshot.shtml
    The developer's website http://regshot.ist.md is unreachable at this particular moment, but you might try later on.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

R2--

As in so many cases, I poked around the values, but was flying into clouds blind because besides from accessing the binaries or trying to find some orientation to change them, I came up empty--they don't seem to be named explicitly. I don't know if I have that 6 subkey because of something I downloaded early on from WU I don't really need. Where would you go to orient yourself to how to use the values or modify those keys or subkeys? Books come up empty. Maybe searching sites would help.

Also, can you give me a link for RegShot--I'm not coming up with it in a search.

Thanks,

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Essentially everything I know about the registry I learned by experience. I don't have any sources to refer you to.

There are two very important tools that I use -- RegShot and and RegMon (www.sysinternals.com). The former is relatively easy to use, but the latter is much more advanced.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rick:
    The link to RegShot says there are too many people trying to use the site (for two days). I have InControl5, which was written by Neil Rubenking, which takes snapshots of the registry. Do you know if that utility is just as good as RegShot?
    Thanks,

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Phil--

I couldn't reach Web Attack's site, but I could download it from PC World. I figure since I couldn't search for another site, if this isn't the latest version it would be a close enough approxmiation, until I can find a later one if WebAttack has it. You could at least compare it to InControl5. As you know, Neil Rubenking is one of the long time contributers to some excellent articles and tips columns in PC Mag, and their lab, and anything from him is pretty worth while.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

InCtrl is useful only when installing programs -- I believe -- and is now no longer free.

RegShot can be used at any time -- like before you check a box in IE and then after. It shows you exactly when the change is stored. Fairly invaluable to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast