Thread: Wireless Router

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Router

You will need to check with PCI card OEM. Antennas and wires need to be "Matched" and a proper length.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect the advice would be "Why don't you try it?", but as Dave points out, they made the antenna that size for extremely good technical reasons!

(I won't make a crack about your PCI card being excessively wireless...!)
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Router

I have a wireless wireless PCI card installed in the computer. The wireless PCI card has an antenna screwed on to the card thus getting the signal from the router. Is it possible to unscrew the antenna and place a 6 ft. piece of wire/cable between the antenna and PCI card. The reason why I'm asking is that the computer is stored in a lower cabinet of the computer hutch and sometimes looses signal strength. If I snake the wire behind the hutch and mount the antenna to the top of the hutch all should be well. I don't have the option of moving the computer and etc..

Your advice is appreciated.
    John

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I know more about wireless from flying model airplanes than from networking but I'm sure the same antenna advice applies to both. Never change the length of the antenna. It's safe enough to do for a receiving antenna although you may end up with sub-optimal reception but messing with a sending antenna can wreck your entire transmitter.

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I believe you are posting from the USA, but my UK-oriented answer may help you anyway.

I bought a Taiwanese wireless access point from Solwise in Hull (www.solwise.co.uk) and their extremely helpful support technician described why I could not sensibly place it's antenna eight or ten feet away from the box. I forget the figures, but even the very special coaxial cable that they sell means that an antennae extension lead can only be extremely short.

Having said that, call them and ask if they have anything that can help. They were prepared to sell me the very special antennae cable so long as I knew the effect it would have. I can't believe that the cable is specific to the brand I bought.

BTW, my problem of signal loss between the access point in my living room and the laptop in my attic turned out to be partially caused by the living room ceiling's plaster board (sheetrock if you're N. American). This has foil all over the top side of it. (I believe this is to prevent condensation in the attic becoming a problem.) I peeled off a square yard or so of this foil directly above the access point and this gave me a small improvement. However, what really cured my problem was lining the sloping underside of my attic roof with an aluminised bubble wrap which is sold as loft insulation. This acts like a huge reflector and my attic laptop has never lost the wifi connection ever since.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A number of vendors support external antennas. My Belkin F5D7000 PCI - 80211g card has a separate socket for this but I am not sure where I could get a compatible antenna from, as it has disappeared from the Belkin web site. A quick google search shows http://www.netgate.com/product_antennas.html which seems to have a good selection, but you will have all the fun of working out what is compatible with your card!

StuartR