New Lounger
    Thanks

Activex component can't create object (A2K)

I have created a small application in Access 2000 that needs to link to an Access 97 file. I have used an ADO connection string and have included an argument "Jet OLEDB Database Password=" because the '97 file has a database password.

When run with Access XP (on WinXP or Win98) or Access 2000 (Win 98) it works like a dream.

When I package it with Access2000 developer (and include Access runtime), and then install it on a PC without Office installed (Win 98), I get "err 429 - ActiveX component can't create object". This has also occurred when I tried to install it on a client's PC who supposedly had full version Access 2000 (Win ME, I think).

I'm at a loss as to how to find the component that is missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,
    Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Activex component can't create object (A2K)

Unfortunately, error 429 is a kind of catch-all and the error text is misleading - there could be several causes.

Re-registering DAO 3.6 on the problem machine often solves the problem, but there is no guarantee for this. See ACC2000: Error Message: ActiveX Component Can't Create Object

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,

I'll give this a go.

When I use the Package and Deployment Wizard to create the setup files (including Access Runtime), I thought that any references would also get copied. Then when installing the Package, the references (like DAO3.6) would be registered correctly.

There must be something I'm missing in the process, are there any traps to watch out for when using the Package and Deployment Wizard?

Cheers,
    Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

References that are set in your project should be included in the installer, but you can run into conflicts with existing libraries on the target machine. The packaging wizard is not very good. Any actual activex controls can run into version conflicts if there is an earlier version (Access 97/VB5) of the control on the target machine.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte,

Are there work arounds if conflicts do arise with earlier versions? I'm not sure that this is the problem as it doesn't use any ActiveX controls, but I'll need to do some investigating to be sure.

Is there an alternative to using the Package Wizard? I need to provide Access Runtime if they don't have A2K.

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Cheers,

Paul