Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replication (2002)

I gave up on the idea of using VNC to remotely control a PC running Access. Instead we are going to use replication. I have done some tests here and all seems to work well (although the conflict manager isn't overly friendly, but that's another issue).

What I intend to do is create a replica of the back-end datafile MDB in a subfolder of the current app, then copy it onto the remote PC. When synchronization is to occur, the remote office will email or FTP their replica of the MDB, the main site will copy that into the subfolder (where Access will be expecting to find the replica) and then do the replication. Then the replica can be sent back to the remote site. Everything I've done so far seems to indicate that this will work fine, human error permitting.

Are there any gotchas you think I should be aware of before I dive into this one? (apart from keeping a backup!)

TIA

James

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Replication (2002)

Is your remote location making updates and additions to your database, or do they only do reads? If it's the latter, you can simply email them a copy of the back-end every so often. If the former, then you scenario should work reasonably well. There is a more sophisticated process (Replication Manager) you can use to do scheduled replication in a dial-up arrangement, but it requires the developer version of Office.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Replication (2002)

The former. I have Office xp Dev, so I should take another look at the Rep Manager, although I'm trying to keep the process simple.

Many thanks

James