3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dial-up networking keeps trying to start

I'm not sure where to post this one, but decided to start with Internet Explorer.

I use dial-up networking, and have it set to automatically request a dial-up session each time I start Internet Explorer.

Trouble is, every time I open mail in Outlook, if the mail contains a hyperlink then dial-up networking tries to start. I just ignore it, an go on reading my mail.

Then when I've finished, I have to press Esc many times to get rid of the dial-up networking connection box (once for each hyperlink it came across).

Any ideas on how I can have my cake and eat it?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

ril

Re: Dial-up networking keeps trying to start

The short solution to your question is: Select 'Work Offline' in the File menu of Outlook.[img]/w3timages/icons/king.gif[/img]

Now for a little more...

I don't think it is trying to access DUN for each reference it encounters. I think it's trying 1 time for each number of redials you have specified. (I could be wrong, though[img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img]... let me know if I am).

The tricky thing about redial values is that they are controlled from a billion (ok, not quite) different UI locations. If I recall correctly, they can be set globally from the Connections->Settings menu in the DUN folder. Plus they can be set individually for each DUN connectoid by defining its individual properties. Plus plus, they can also be set individually from the Connections tab in the IE control panel. And I think you may be able to set the value(s) from the modem settings dialogs, the network settings dialogs, and the actual connection dialogs (which appear when starting a connection) as well. Of course all this changes depending on which version of Windows you are using.

So MS has created quite a mess... the user has no idea which setting will be in control, and which setting will override the others. Personally, I go in and set every dang one I can find to "1". And I always think about switching to a different O/S...[img]/w3timages/icons/kiss.gif[/img]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.

------------------------
    <font color=red>The facts</font color=red>
    I've discovered it tries to start a DUN session <font color=blue>twice</font color=blue> for each <font color=blue>graphic</font color=blue> in the email.

It doesn't appear to be connected to the retry settings. I've found that setting in two places (DUN, and Internet Explorer options (Connection/Settings/Advanced). They were different: retry=1 in DUN, retry=0 in IE.

I set retry=Off in DUN, and still get two DUN attempts per graphic.

------------------------
    <font color=red>Proposed solution</font color=red>
    Turning WorkOffline=On in Outlook works, but only until the next IE session, which turns <font color=blue>Outlook's</font color=blue> WorkOffline off. Damn.

------------------------
    Maybe there's another retry setting somewhere???

ril

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by KB MacKenzie on 01/01/15 02:03.</FONT></P>You're welcome. And thanks for the facts from your diagnosis.

There is a freeware/shareware program out there called InkSwitch (search for it on google.com) that may help you.

I had tried it a while back, and it didn't seem to be able to override IE's desires strongly enough, buy your mileage my vary.

If you give it a try, let us know your results (inlude all your version numbers!).

As for retry locations, take a look at all the different places I mentioned. It will depend on which Windows version you are using (and maybe even on your IE version). You can also search the registry for the word 'retry', but be careful!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

InkSwitch seems to do the trick!

ril

I'm glad it worked for you![img]/w3timages/icons/king.gif[/img]

Best wishes! ril