Thread: It Freezes!

New Lounger
    Thanks

It Freezes!

Just installed a new mainboard (shuttle 333 athlon xp ready) 512 ddr and an athlon 2400 chip. Ran the Mainboard cd to install the drivers and now the thing locks up like there's no tomorrow! I'm using my existing HD with Win2k on it, it barely gets to the desktop and it hangs every time. What do I do? Bios upgrade? It even hangs in SafeMode. I loaded drivers and cleared away all the yellow asterisked disabled devices too.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: It Freezes!

There are several things that can cause this problem. 1st you need to check for bad Memory and Bios Settings. I have had this to lock me up before. Make sure you check your BIOS settings that pertain to your type of memory and it's settings. Like for instance the Memory Speed. Those settings have to correlate with each other. I know for a fact because I have had to spend a lot of time in BIOS, setting up Motherboards to were they would work properly. I have experienced your problem many times because of such things as a setting being incorrect in BIOS. Also check your Video Card. I would unhook everything you don't need and then try and reboot. Like Modems, Printers and such. Always start with the basics when installing a New Motherboard and starting it up for the first time. I learned that along time ago by installing a New Motherboard and then getting everything hooked up just to find out the Motherboard was bad. OUCH

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I'll give those a try this evening. I did check to be sure that at least the boxes claimed they were all compatible...the MB was for an Athlon Xp chip, the motherboard said it used the DDR 2700 memory, and of course the Athlon chip is 333 compatible. It maybe a card like my AGP video...I wisjh I had a bunch of spares to swap out. I'll download the current BIOS and flash it too, this MB may have sat on the shelf and the BIOS is no longer the current one....and to think I could have just ordered a Dell....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One question. You said in the first post that you're using your existing W2K hard drive. I'm not a W2K user but I didn't think Win2000 would take kindly to being dropped into a new hardware environment. Are you sure you can do that without a re-install of the OS? (You know, security and all that jazz.....)

New Lounger
    Thanks

an excellent thought! I have another HD I'll format and try, you might be on to something there! thanks.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Doc. I have done it a hundred times without any problems. I have a Motherboard screwed to the wall above my desk that I test Hardware and things with and I have plugged Hard Drives with Win2000 into it many times without a hitch, thats not to say it doesn't have to recognize the new Hardware from the Motherboard first before it gets to the Desktop, but after that it should have no problems booting unless something is wrong with the Hard Drive or maybe the MBR. But you never know when it comes to Machines, Hardware and Software. They can be down right cantankerous sometimes.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ya got me there, Cowboy. Like we were saying in another thread, been there - done that too, just not with Win2000. I dunno, maybe he does have a glitch somewhere else in the mobo setup. Well, let's see what happens in the "next chapter..."

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Y'all....the first thing I did was pull out the sound card, a rhythmic edge, and all my lockups disappeared....she runs like to champ! I bought a new card and it seems to install just fine, it shows up in device manager without the yellow exclamation point but the system won't use it. when I go to Sounds in Control Panel the 'playback device' is not listed and the 'play' arrow for sounds is grayed out. Odd....any more help?