Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Moving all settings from one userid to another (XP Pro SP1)

It seems that there is a corruption in one of the XP userids on our XP Pro box, because it is no longer possible to open documentsspreadsheetspresentations in Word/Excel/Powerpoint respectively, whereas in the "other" user and in a newly-created user there are no problems. (See the thread in Word about not being able to open documents!)

Consequently what I think I need to do is to
    * copy all the settings, Favourites, three Outlook Express identities and associated messages, contacts, etc, Documents and Settings directories, etc etc from the failing user to the new user,
    * make sure that the new user is working correctly
    * delete the old, failing, user
    * rename the new userid to be the same as the original one

Has anyone done this sort of thing before, and could they advise on a minimum effort, maximum reliability, mechanism?

Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving all settings from one userid to another

Well, I THINK what you're asking is in My Computer, Properties, Advanced, User Profiles. If you create a new user and then go to the previous and COPY a good user's profile to the new one, it's as close as I can come to your question. I can't swear that it will cover all the specific questions you mentioned, but it seems it's worth a try. By the way, you CAN'T be logged on as either user when you do the copy, so you'll have to logon as the "builtin" Administrator.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving all settings from one userid to another (XP Pro SP1)

I'm not sure exactly how it treats users, but I have had good success with the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard", in xp Programs>Accessories>System. It might save you some steps if you can get it to work for you. I used it in the more traditional way, to move from an old computer to a new one, and it worked great.

kip