4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Max window (2002)

When we start an application or open a second window it does not open in max mode. The windows appears smaller with the scroll bars on the right and bottom side. As we have to switch/open several different windows for each transaction, it takes time to max the windows each time. How can I make all my windows appear max when opened?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Max window (2002)

Try maxing your program and then close it by using the menu, File, Exit. Do NOT use the "X" in the upper right corner, for it will NOT save your screen setting.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Daniel--

Haven't had too much problem with this--it's interesting. Not a lot of tweakers for Word--some for Outlook 2002 or OE to open maximized. I have a couple of things medium close so far but not a big cigar. Usually for Windows I always say the main thing is to manually resize then close at the X holding down the Ctrl button (other ideas--at File, ect. come up) but other forces are in play with Word. I didn't find the MS KB helpful--when I see one like this and a year after launch and two years after betas it hasn't changed, I file it as a Copout KB.

286868: WD2002: New Document Window Is Not Automatically Maximized

292078: WD2002: New Document Created by Macro While Word Is Minimized Opens in Restored State

This KB above does not do what you want--it's a reverse twist. But it suggests to me it can be done with a macro that I don't have and phoning them on this might get them to give it to y ou without wait and cost.

291137: WD2002: Full Screen View Closes When You Arrange All Windows

264299: WD: Word Program Is Not Restored or Maximized When You Click Program Button

It's not clear whether Method 3 in the above KB would help you,--I know your problem is not clicking on anything to have to get max size, but just to have the window open maximally, but you can always back up the registry key and try it and then restore it if it doesn't.

They have acknowledge at Redmond Mission Control "We have a problem..." That's affirmative. This KB was last reviewed 11/15/2001. But it's 7/29/03. I wonder if in Word 2003 released Halloween?? Their support may have an update to this. It would sure be worth bringing it to the Word Team's attention now while they have a chance to do something about it. I don't know if this is a bug for many people; I'm not having trouble maximizing it. You don't have to be using the Office 2003 Beta to get a message to the Office Beta team though, and I understand even if no problem or bug existed in 2003, you have 2002 and can't "trade it in."

These two links might help:

Prime"Guarantee that your Office applications always conveniently open full-screen (maximized) mode. You'll never again have to waste time fiddling with controls to maximize your Office application windows on startup."

When I open a Word 2000 (or higher) document, it creates a new instance of Word. How can I stop it from doing this?

There may be a vb script or macro someone in the lounge has to help you do this.

I'll keep looking later.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dave--

I think because of some of the info on MDI/SDI behavior in Word 2002, that simple solution may not work and after reading the KB's and other info and a number of archived MSN threads on this where that had been tried many times. I hope it does. I'm asking you because I know you're familiar with the MDI/SDI behavior. Couldn't a macro be written to do what Daniel is trying to do if simpling closing from File won't work? The MDI/SDI change seems to refer to multiple Windows and Daniel is trying to have a new Window remember, but I wonder if it applies to his problem.

I know in Windows (not Word) I have tried simply maxing File>Exit and it often doesn't. I don't know that it won't in Word. I doubt it.

In Windows I have found repeatedly that manually stretching the Window to where you want, and then closing at the X or at File holding Control often will remember and sometimes it won't. Just closing from File does nothing to help it remember in my hands. I've tried that every time I see the tip.

See: (on this MDI/SDI behavior):

<A target="_blank" HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291137">291137: WD2002: Full Screen View Closes When You Arrange All Windows
    </A>

"In versions of Word earlier than Word 2000, the Multiple Document Interface (MDI) was used, which allowed you to arrange all windows while in full screen view. Beginning with Word 2000, the Single Document Interface (SDI) replaces the MDI. Because each SDI document is its own window, you cannot view more than one SDI document at a time in full screen view."

When I open a Word 2000 (or higher) document, it creates a new instance of Word. How can I stop it from doing this?

I mean the reference to MDI/SDI.

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Poster has NOT stated what programs are giving them this problem. We assume, that it is a Office product, since it is post here.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

It's somewhat application specific. There's really not much alternative to dragging the window to the correct size manually and hoping it remembers that going forward. Simply maximizing a window does not tell most programs how to open the next one; they re-use the last non-maximized size. Then there are the hopeless cases... For example, automating e-mail through MAPI often generates a pitifully small new message window and, worst of all, Outlook remember this size when you want to create a new message yourself.

If you are using code to open the windows, you could try to get a "handle" to them and resize them with the Windows API. I haven't looked up the details, but if I recall correctly you have more control with a function called (I believe) CreateProcess than by using Shell and hunting down the window after the fact.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I scratched my head about that--because often which flavor or Windows can matter and which Office version of course. But since I saw (2002) I supposed this was being posed for Office XP with Word 2002, but it could be Windows and it could be other components of Office. One of my Microsoft Wish items, would be that they take a long look at the different Windows complaints that a search brings up for both Windows and Office and see if they could create some uniform solutions.

With respect to Windows, and maybe Jefferson's post could be aimed at Windows as well as Office, I don't know if there is a uniform way. I'll have Windows open up as a slab once in a while, and I have no idea why, and the behavior will go away. I've collected tips on trying to make Windows remember, but in Windows, sometimes no method is 100%. I suspect there might be registry changes or others that would hold Windows at a certain size consistently, but making the Window remember different sizes may be a whole other different thing.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson--

I have run across mention of a script or a macro people have written for OE/and for Outlook. Does the SDI/MDI information take part in windows remember or not in Word? What would you be doing if you tried to resize them through the Windows API-- and what does using Shell and hunting down the window size after the fact involve? I don't mean specifically but what would these involve using, working with, and couldn't a macro be done to make Word windows or another component of Office's windows open maximally?

Could something be done by modifying a value at the key mentioned in 264299 Method 3?

SMBP

Thanks

> Does the SDI/MDI information take part in windows remember or not in Word?

What? In an MDI application, documents open inside a parent frame (e.g., Word 97). In an SDI application, they open as separate windows (e.g., Word 2000). I can't make sense of your question.

> What would you be doing if you tried to resize them through the Windows API-- and what does using
    > Shell and hunting down the window size after the fact involve?

The original poster does a lot of Access programming, so I'm speculating that he's opening new windows using Access VBA. One way you can launch other applications from VBA is the Shell command. But the Shell command gives you a kind of useless task number. So you can use a Windows API function to check all the opened windows for one with the correct caption in its title bar, and then resize that window.

> I don't mean specifically but what would these involve using, working with, and couldn't a macro be done
    > to make Word windows or another component of Office's windows open maximally?

Yes, you can create an AutoOpen macro in your Word Normal.dot template that immediately maximizes any document you open. This is not as conveniently available in other programs, 'though something might be rigged in Excel and PowerPoint, which have VBA programming environments.

> Could something be done by modifying a value at the key mentioned in 264299 Method 3?

The article refers to deleting the Word data key from the Registry. The "data" key is binary, undocumented, and basically uneditable. See Phil's famous Star Post on troubleshooting in Word for more information.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I've run across things like (and I'm using Outlook/OE in those links as examples--this isn't meant for an Outlook/OE Post):

Using SetWindowsPos API

137033:HOWTO: Suppress Maximize & Minimize Buttons on MDI Parent Form

"The SetWindowLong API is what you need here. Using the WS_xxxx style bits you can change the behavior of the window to disallow sizing, remove the Min/Max buttons, etc.

However, a much simpler solution and one that might be more user-friendly is to do the "Scrolling Pictureboxes" technique talked so much about. Instead of putting the Embedded object inside Picture1, put it inside Picture2. Put Picture2 inside picture1 and provide scrollbars that set the top and left of picture2 to negative values of what the scrollbars are. This allows the user to resize (Min/Max too) the Embedded object if the want and allows them to scroll around as they desire."

Word Keyboard Shortcuts: Alt +F10 Maximizies a Window

<u>[b]Forcing Outlook Express to Remember Window Size:<u>[b]

Open email/Rt. Click and restore window size/Click and Drag the lower right hand corner up and to left to make window smaller/close/open email
    from
    259539: OLEXP: Maximized Message Window Size Is Not Saved
    Possibiilty of a Maximize Script for Outlook Express
    Maximize the OE Window
    Max Windows When They Start: Actual Windows Manager, Actual Windows Guard
    Utter Access Help: Outlook Emai Maximize
    Maximize Windows Action
    How To Maximize the Outlook Window

Maximizes (causes window to occupy the entire screen) the specified window:

"Tech notes say that if you click and drag the window then close it, it supposedly creates a new key under the outlook express tree...but, I did not see one generated."

Outlook Express (sic) Oddity