New Lounger
    Thanks

Transfer in project (Project 98)

I have an excel file with headings for a project. These headings include start date finish date, duration and task name. I would like to transfer this data into project to form a gannt chart based on the start date and finish dates. I have never done anything like this before so any help will be much appreciated,
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Thanks

Re: Transfer in project (Project 98)

The easiest way to do this is using an import map.

To create a map, use an existing project and select File, Save As, Text and then follow along the screens to create a named export map (or use a default).

Revserse the process to load data, that is File, Get exteranal data, import (if I remember correctly), choose the import map and point to the file.

Take a look at the help file for help as I am being very non-specific.

Post back if you need help. The export / import map is just one way to load data this way.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary
    I opened up a blank project file and went to Save As and selected text. When I click save it brings me to an export format table when I click new map it has a space for the map name, when I go for the default name "Map11" and click ok it says "Map 11 does not map any fields" I typed in the name of the excel file I want to import the info from "Project Times" and I get the same message as before "Project Times does not map any fields" Any help will be appreciated, are there any other ways to import data from excel into project?
    Cheers,
    Rob

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    I managed to get the information to transfer from the excel sheet into project the only problem I have is that when I go to "task mapping" in the define Import/Export map my start and finish times don

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rob:

Project expects start and finish fields to include both date and time. In Excel these fields should be in the format dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss i.e.: 16/01/2002 08:00:00 (that's for UK - if you're in the US you probably need to transpose days & months).

Tony.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com

Thanks

Rob,

Did Tony's answer solve your problem?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah I got the date problem sorted thanks. I put 8 headings on the spreadsheet in project left of the gannt chart area. Only the duration and start date affect the chart. The other headings just give additional info about the task e.g the type of task. I have tried copying the info for these headings from excel and pasting them into the colums in project but project keeps crashing!!! I tried to reduce the size of the data down to 50 rows intially it was 800 rows but it keeps crashing!! Would you have any suggestions as to how I could transfer the data from the spreadasheet into project.
    Cheers for the help,
    Rob

Thanks

I am a little confused as to how you are doing this. Are you trying to copy and paste directly from Excel into Project or use the import Map feature to import data. If using the import map, you would not need to create the column headings as they will load with the data. The number of rows being imported wont make a difference either. I just did a quick test on 226 rows of data. Created a .csv file of the data from an existing MSP project using the task export map and then opened a new MS Project file and imported the data from the .csv file without any problems.

My suggestion would be a follows:

1. Create a new project and load it with a few lines of data that reflect the data you are trying to import.
    2. Export the data to a .CSV using an export map. Modify the Task export map to include the fields you want.
    3.Create a new Project file and import the data you just exported to test it using the same mapping.
    4. In excel, save the file with data to be imported as a .csv file format and keep the headers. The header names must match that in project.
    5. In project, create a new file and import the .csv data using the mapping.

The data should import. If not, post your excel file with data (or a subset of the data) and I will create the import file for you (I have Project 98 at home.) You really should not have any problems doing this.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary,
    Yes I was trying to copy the data from ecel and paste it into project but that doesnt work for me as the computer crashed each time i did it!!! I tried saving the excel file as a .csv then open it up in project through the mapping menu it partially works but some of the data goes into the wrong fields and some fields are left blank, when i try to edit it in project i cut and paste the data into the correct field, it does so but then another field will then display the wrong data once i paste the info in!!
    I have enclosed a file called data could you tell me how to transfer this data into project.
    Thanks for the help,
    Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I will take a look at your data as soon as I get a chance. One recommendation however, avoid cutting and pasting the data into project as depending on the data you are pasting, it typically won't work. (I think you already figured this out.)
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Thanks

One item on this post, when you import, if you need see data on a daily basis, then you would need to inport the resource hourse on a daily basis. Otherwise, project will spread the hours evenly between the start and finish dates of the tasks.

for example, you work 5 hours monday and 10 hours tuesday and 9 hours wednesday. (Total of 24 hours). If you import the data project says you started monday and worked through wednesday, thus take the total of 24 hours and brings them in as 8 hours per day (spread evenly). To show actual hours per day, you need to import the data on a daily basis.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cheers thanks for the tip. I keep on trying to get the import map to work. I open the .csv file and check the tasks box, all of my headings say not mapped so I change them to text except START and DURATION I select append to the end of exsisting project and check the preview and every looks fine. I click open it take a few secs then it seems to have worked until i look at the fields. Some of the info is displayed in the wrong fields!!! If I could get this working I d have the job done,
    Thanks for the help,
    Rob.

Thanks

Rob,

I took a look at the file you attached in a prior post and I think the problem may be where you are importing the fields to. Could you please clarify the following regarding the attachment data.

Task - This should link to Name in Project.
    Reg - What is this? What field are you trying to import this into?
    Importance - What field are you using for this in Project?
    Section - Is this a text field?
    Start - Assuming Start.
    Duration - Is this the duration of the task or how long it took to complete the task? Assuming Duration.

What you should do is in your excel file, set the header fields to the actual names in MS Project that they will import to.

So, your objective is to take the attachment and create a new project or update (append) data to a project that already has data. Sorry for the question, but I need to understand your data so we can get the import to work.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary,
    The task can vary supervision inspection etc..
    Reg importance and section are all text fields
    Start is the beginning date
    Duration is how long the task takes to complete.
    Thanks a mil for the help,
    Rob.

Thanks

Rob,

I would suggest the following.

Create your project. Since you are scheduling in hours, go to Tools, Options, View, and set the date format so it shows the date and time (i.e, 1/31/2003 12:33 pm). Save the file as a .csv and use the task export map to create the .csv file. Use the following fields in the map,

- Unique ID
    - ID
    - Name
    - Duration
    - Predecessors
    - Start
    - Finish
    - % Complete
    - Any text fields that you are using.

The data should show the Start and Finish as date and time (i.e, 1/31/2003 12:33 pm). Since you are scheduling in hours, if you don't input the finish date, when you import the data, Project will assume a full day of work and change the hours to 8. Let me know if this does not work.

In excel, the Start and Finish should also be shown as date and time as above. If not, change the date field or create a custom field to do this. You should then be able to re-import the data into project.

If updating data after taking performance, you will need to append using the merge key but that is another issue.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)