New Lounger
    Thanks

Saving embedded Excel worksheet (Word 2000)

I have an Word file with embedded Excel worksheets. I can edit the worksheet in a small window within the Word document, but I would like to be able to save the worksheet as an Excel file, rather than working on it within the Word document.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving embedded Excel worksheet (Word 2000)

Perhaps there are smarter methods, but the following should work:
    Click outside the embedded worksheet object.
    Right-click the worksheet object.
    Select Worksheet Object | Open from the context menu (not Edit!)
    The worksheet object will be opened in Excel as "Worksheet in <document name>".
    If you just wanted to be able to edit the worksheet in the fill Excel window, that's it. You can return to Word using File | Close and return to <document name>.

If you want to save the worksheet, select Select File | Save Copy As...
    Return to Word and delete the worksheet object.
    Switch to Excel, open the worksheet you saved, and copy the cells you want in Word to the clipboard.
    Switch to Word again, and select Edit | Paste Special. You have various options. If you select the option to Paste Link, changes in the Excel worksheet will be reflected in the Word document.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving embedded Excel worksheet (Word 2000)

Just one thought, which doesn't answer your question directly. If you had used Paste Special/Paste Link... to begin with, then you could right click the link in Word & open Excel directly. Any modifications would then be reflected in both Excel & Word (after the field updated).

Too bad you can't update an Excel worksheet source using an Includetext field in Word, the way you can update another Word source by pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9.