Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Reference Library (dll) (Access 97)

I'm attempting to troubleshoot a problem on a database I have not developed or have access to. This is over my head - though I think I know where the problem lies. This database resides on a network. Access is also on the network. On this particular PC, the user cannot open a specific report. A "Parameter" error comes up. After looking at various things in attempt to locate the problem, in the Tools/References the library for DAO 3.5 object library is missing. An attempt to locate this dll on the network will not work using the references box - but it's 'there' when using explorer.
    My problems in trying to help are multiple: I am not familiar with this database. I'm using a different version of Access. This is all being done over the telephone. These folks don't have an access expert - the IT tech trying to help is not familiar with access and contacted me because I have some experience but obviously I don't have enough knowledge to take care of this one. I don't even know if my question makes sense. I'll attempt to provide any missing information. It's possible that you 'gurus' may not be able to help but I thought I would ask.
    Any ideas on what to look for?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing Reference Library (dll) (Access 97)

In my feeble attempt to explain the problem - one major key that I forgot to include - this access application is used by multiple PCs - and everyone else can access it just fine. It seems to be limited to this one PC...
    We searched for the dll in the reference library - and can't find it - even if the path is typed. That's what's really weird - because you can locate the file using explorer..
    Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

References problems are typically problems that occur on specific PC's - it depends on the configuaration of the PC. But what do you mean by "Can't find it"? If you can find the file using Windows Explorer, you should be able to find it using the Browse... button too. And have you tried to re-register DAO 3.5 on that particular PC?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    I have been trying to help over the phone so I hope my user is following my directions... I had him call up the reference library and that's how we discovered this particular .dll was missing. There was a path there, however, and I tried to walk him through that "add reference" thing. When he followed the path from VBA the library wasn't there. If he used explorer and went to the path, it was. Again, since he's using a prior version, I'm doing this blindly over the phone and I'm not much of an expert on these kinds of things, it didn't make sense to me but I didn't know what else to look for. He re-installed Access and the problem still exists. I'm thinking he's looking in the wrong place but when he goes through the path it's the same thing....

I know I probably sound like an idiot - because I don't know what I'm dealing with. I don't know what you mean by re-registering DAO.....

Thanks a bunch for your help and patience.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the DLL is present in Windows Explorer it should be possible to set a reference to it.
    The reference should be listed, but if it isn't in the standard list, they should click the Browse... button in the Tools | References... dialog.
    If necessary, select an entry in the Files of Type dropdown list that includes .dll.
    I can't tell you where the dll should be if it is on a netweork, but since you say that it can be located in Windows Explorer, that shouldn't be a problem.

If that doesn't work, parhaps DAO needs to be re-registered. MSKB 177264 gives details about this, but the path will have to be adapted, since the MSKB article describes the situation for a local installation.

HTH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Deb,

You don't sound like an idiot at all. I know from experience how helpless you feel when you try to help somebody over the phone.

If the file is there in Explorer but not when the user tries to set the reference, the only thing I can think of is that he has picked a wrong entry in the Files of Type dropdown list. (Since the file is visible in Explorer, I assume that the user has set his Explorer to display system files, but it doesn't hurt to check it in Tools | Folder Options..., View tab from Windows Explorer.)

The procedure to re-register DAO 3.5 is described in detail in MSKB 177264, but frankly, I don't envy you if you have to explain all that over the phone. You have my sympathy.

Lounger
    Thanks

Helping someone over this phone while using a different version is never any fun. If he can find it in the explorer, have him try using the add reference dialog box again. When he clicks the button to search for the file, have him double check the 'Files of Type' drop down box, it is at the bottom of the dialog box. I don't remember what the default is but it could be looking for the wrong file extension. An .ocx instead of a .dll for example.