2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

shut down problems

I just installed Windows ME and everything was fine until I downloaded all the critical updates. Now instead of rebooting I get a blank screen with a blinking curser. When I shut it off and turn it on again from the CPU it accuses me of shutting down improperly and runs scan disk. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Terry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: shut down problems

Microsoft KB 273746 has a troubleshooting page on ME shutdown problems.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by bigaldoc on 30-Jul-03 09:00. P.S. I was looking at your profile and there's an extra HTTP in your homepage URL.. Nice site; your B&B looks wonderful!)</P>I hope the reference from Dennis helps you! On many of the WinME machines that I'VE tried to troubleshoot, I was never able to determine a solution for not only slow shutdown, but startup as well. Just for a test, the next time it happens, either on startup or shutdown, let that sucker sit there for like 30 minutes if need be, to see if it WILL eventually come to fruition! I know that won't make you feel any better, but at least it would save you the agony of a startup SCANDISK! BTW, this problem is one of the reasons that (except for one remaining machine) I gave up on WinME and went "back" to Win98, before XP came along. Good luck - I hope the KB shows you some light.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have noticed that if I choose shut down instead of restart, I can boot up normally. It was one of the critical updates that screwed it up.
    Terry