Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Mysterious Lockups

Anyone had a problem with ME not responding, or locking up without warning? I have installed it on three different PCs, all DEC Celebris desktops running about 200MHz with anywhere from 32 - 128 MB RAM installed. On each, ME locks up.

I have had Internet Explorer hose and not respond to an internet connection, and another does the same when sending mail but it locks the PC up and there is no recovering. No task list, no blue screen - just a frozen box.

Not necessarily looking for answers to the problems (I use 2000 on my main PC) but curious as to whether anyone else has experienced the same or similar.
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mysterious Lockups

no, but with that being about the min for ME, i'm not surprised. it really works much better with newer hardware.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Eileen on 01/01/10 15:58.</FONT></P>(URL Tags added by Eileen!)

Actually, I found a fix for the problem - or apparently so. There is a patch available for Windows ME that resolves some networking issues and it has fixed two of the three PCs that were experiencing the problem so far.

FYI, on of the machines is an AMD-450 with 128 meg of RAM, and an 8GB hard drive - which should be more than sufficient to handle the load.

The patch I found is available at http://download.microsoft.com/download/win.../272991usam.exe, and the Knowledge Base article is at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q272/9/91.asp.

What this patch has to do with the lockups is unclear, but since networking problems commonly cause Windows lockups and hangs, it's always worth a shot.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

I have had many lock ups , no blue sreen of death... until you press "ctrl + Alt + Delete" then a system error blue screen.
    It turns out mine where all connected to my "optical explorer mouse" have updated the driver and now all seems to be fine! [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]