3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Memo fields in queries (Access 2k Win 2k)

Hello

I'm trying to set up an update query to add data to a table, the data has been collected from Sales people ion the field in Excel format.

I'm having a problem due to the way we send the data out and collect it back in. The data is sent out with any recent comments included, as a reminder. The sales type is then supposed to follow up on the quote, change the relevant data and return the spreadsheet to the company. The spreadsheet is then linked to the database for use as a table. If they have not changed the data I want the Access append query to check if it is the same and ignore it. My problem appears to be with the memo field I'm appending the 'new' data to. With the query set to only provide data where Excel field A is not equal to Access memo field A the number of items in the query is reduced, but it still shows me items that should not be there as they have identical comments already in the table.

I then tried a delete query, delete where Excel field A is equal to Access memo field A, it sempt like a good idea, except that I get even more records in the delete query that shouldn't be there than with the append query.....

I'm developing a sneaking suspicion that I shouldn't have used a memo field, but need the ability to record minor essays on why the sales type had won / lost / didn't know about the quote.

Bearing in mind I need the size of a memo field, does anyone have suggestions as to how I can garuantee that Excel field A does not equal Access memo field A?

Yours in eternal hope

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memo fields in queries (Access 2k Win 2k)

This is probably a dumb question, but just to make sure...

Have you set up the correct link between the Excel and Access tables? If the only thing you check for is that the memo field is (not) equal, you're comparing fields in unrelated records.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memo fields in queries (Access 2k Win 2k)

Hans

I've linked the two tables in the query on an identifier that is unique to each quote. Although the id is not necessarily unique in the table I'm appending to as this is on the many side of a one to many relationship...... Hmmm, I'm just off to see if the data not being filtered out is limited to the items that have multiple references already, if so I can fix it!!!

Just done the check, and yes the duplicates are where there the quote number appears twice in the data returned from the Sales type, thanks for the help Hans.

Thanks Hans