2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office SP Install Problem (Office XP)

I am trying to install the Service Pack 1 package and get the following:
    Error 1328. Error applying patch to file.
    C:config.msi[filename which changes with each attemt].tmp. It has probably been updated by other means and can no longer be modified by this patch. For more information contact your patch vendor.

When I run the check for updates via the web, it tells me I need both SP1 and SP2.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeanie

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office SP Install Problem (Office XP)

First, if you didn't do it already, download Office XP Update: Service Pack 1 and Office XP Update: Service Pack 2 and save both to your hard drive. There are 17 MB and 15 MB files, so if you have dial-up connection, be patient. If you have CD writer, burn them onto CD (chances are good you will need them more than once).

Then, be sure you have your Office Installation CD ready (if you installed Office from CD), double-click oxpsp1.exe and follow the wizard. After upgrading is complete, double-click oxpsp2.exe and follow the wizard once again.

To keep your Office installation up-to date, you also need to install Word 2002 Update: October 16, 2002, Excel 2002 Update: October 16, 2002 and Outlook 2002 Update: January 22, 2003. The last update is needed if you use Outlook. In this case don't forget to install Ken Slovak's Attachment Options.

Good luck!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office SP Install Problem (Office XP)

Jeanie--

Take a look at this. It didn't come up in a simple MSKB search for the error or several combinations of words in the error--I found it listed on the Office XP Support Center Links. Great that they have had a recent site search makeover:

315063: OFFXP: Error 1328 When You Apply Office XP Service Pack 1 to a Workstation

308490: HOW TO: Troubleshoot an Update Installation by Using Log

197147: Common Command-Line Switches for Self-Installing Update Files

296603: HOW TO: Use an Office XP Setup Log File to Troubleshoot Setup Problems in Office XP

SMBP