2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating Acrobat Files (Word 2002, SP-2)

I have the full edition of Adobe Acrobat (not just the free reader).

I used to have an Acrobat logo when I opened a Word document. That disappeared after I upgraded to Windows XP. Then I learned that there's a bug in XP that keeps Acrobat from appearing in Word if Outlook is opened first (bizarre, but true).

I thought I'd solved that, but now I can't seem to be able to create Acrobat files any way at all, i.e., in Word or even in Acrobat.

Does anyone have any ideas? (I thought about calling Adobe, but the folks here seem to be much more knowledgeable and much more helpful.)

Thank you.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating Acrobat Files (Word 2002, SP-2)

If I were me, I'd reinstall Acrobat.

But then, who am I, anyway?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent suggestion.

Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What version of Acrobat are you using? The macros that run from the Acrobat icon in version 4 are not compatible with XP and the folks at Adobe have not posted any upgrade. BUT, you can still create PDF files by simply printer to either of the two "printers" that Acrobat installs: Distiller or PDFWriter. It is a bit less convenient as you may need to set up options in Distiller or PDFWriter before printing, whereas clicking on the Acrobat icon would let you choose various options on the fly.
    Where things can get confusing is if you are creating PDFs for custom page sizes (e.g. artwork for adverts or similar) but you just need to be prepared to delve into the help files a little.
    Cheers
    Ian

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's 5.0.5.

You're right. Slipping into Acrobat via the printer will work, but it might be a bit dicey.

Does the new (?) version, 6.0, work any better in the Windows XP environment?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot say whether V6 works OK with XP or not - looking at the support section of Adobe's website will soon tell you if any iisues have been reported.

As for slipping in via the printer being dicey - no it's not as that is precisely how Acrobat works, the Distiller takes the output from a Postscript file and converts that into a PDF file. By printing direct to Distiller, your application is simply starting the first step of the process which is creation of the Postscript file. What you do lose is the convenience of being able to tweak some settings easily and also the automatic conversion of cross-references to hyperlinks and automatic creation of bookmarks, etc. But if those features are not important to you then printing straight to Distiller is easy and safe.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will check the site for issues.

It's a relief to know that I can still use Acrobat.

Thank you for the help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I use Acrobat 6 in Office XP and it seems to work fine with Word XP. In fact, I'm trying to figure out how to PREVENT the PDF toolbar from displaying automatically every time I start a new document!