Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access doesn't like new file location (2000)

I have a database setup on a peer-to-peer network. I tried to move the mdb file to a different folder on a different computer. Now when I open the file, all the reports, queries, etc. insist on looking in the original location. How can I globally change the location of the file Access is trying to access? Thanks! J

cgschlangen

Re: Access doesn't like new file location (2000)

If you split the database you can change the file location for the Back End through the Linked Table Manager (Tools + Database Utilities + Linked Table Manager)

If you have some VBA code that is looking for the original location - you'll have to reprogram all the occasions when the path is called... I had some problems w/ people moving my database around on me and it was pointing to external files - with a server path programmed in manually - when I discovered how useful CurrentProject.path could be...

Besides these I don't know what might be causing this (although self admittedly I'm certainly not a guru - by any stretch of the imagination [img]/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )
    Good luck though...
    Dan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Peer to peer networks present problems for Access because the machines may not map the drives the same way. For example if the database is on drive C of one machine and works there, things will fail when that drive is mapped as drive F from another machine. One solution is to create a standard mapping for the shared folder and use that mapping on all machines, including the one that contains that drive. If have not split your database into a front and back end, you need to do so. Then you can put a front end on each machine and only share the back end file. That would allow more flexibility in drive mappings but you still have to watch out for anything that is hard coded into the database.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with Access. I'm attaching a screenshot with the error message I get when I move the only mdb file I thought I needed and open Access by opening the file. It appears to me that the db is split since it refers to Back End and also there are linked tables. What's the best way to move the database file(s) to another location? Thanks!! J
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I explained the problem before. You're trying to open a table that lives in a database Access expects to find at the mapping shown in the error message. That folder is not accessible to you for some reason. For instance, is Beth's machine turned on? If not, then you can't link to a file on it. The links to back end tables in a split database are remembered by the application even if that folder isn't available. I suggested you copy, not move, the front end mdb to each machine. Then each workstation can be linked independently to the back end file which should live on a workstation that will always be available to the others. Is that clearer? If you want to move the *whole* database, including the backend to another machine, then you have to move both files and then relink the tables in the front end.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

After moving the back end database ("ASLPT Db BACK END.mdb" in this case) to another location, you must teka the following steps in the front end database (the one showing the error message):
    - Select Tools | Database Utilities | Linked Table Manager
    - Check "Always prompt for new location"
    - Click Select All
    - Click OK
    - Browse to the new location of the back end database
    - Select the back end database and click OK.