2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Graphic - Signature in Report (Access 97)

Hi

I have a report formatted as a template letter. Rather than have the person sign a million letters (well, not quite that many), I decided to load the person's signature into the Report. So I scanned the signature and reduced it. However, on loading it (via image file) into the Report I run into a couple of problems.

Firstly, the signature is always too big even though I think it is small enough, so I reduce it further (on the paper, its size should be no bigger than 2x4cm - height x length). But this leads to a 2nd problem, on reducing it further and reloading it, the signature loses its sharpness. I have tried bmp and jpg formats, but both run into this problem. Does any one know a) the best format to load a signature graphic and [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] how to overcome the graininess problem (ie does MS Access contribute the problem), or is it a matter of trial and error to get it right.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
    WTH

cgschlangen

Re: Graphic - Signature in Report (Access 97)

Your problem doesn't lay with access, fact is that when you resize any image you will lose clarity... The problem lays w/ the fact that you are trying to squeeze a set number of pixels into a smaller area, and pixels don't get any smaller - you are actually losing pixels when you squeeze them together like that - your best bet may lie in re-scanning the original signature and changing the size of the final result to better suit your needs... or you might try editing the file in an Image Editor and using the built in effects to "Sharpen" the image after you have resized it...
    Good Luck
    Dan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

Thanks. I was aware of the pixel size issue. When I reduce the size in the image editor programme and print it, the signature looks ok and is about the right size. However, when loading it into the Report, it does not reproduce as well, and this is causing the problem.

I'll give your suggestions ago, and thanks for the advice.

Regards
    WTH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The graphic type in the image editor may not be the same as what you're seeing in the report. Are you actually storing the graphic in the database, embedding it in the report, or using an image control with its picture property set to the file path for the image, or what?
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

We use an alternative and store signatures in a True Type font, and can then size them up and down using the font size. Things also print much faster than when you use a bit-mapped image. There are several tools available that will take scanned images and turn them into a font.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

At this stage I'm embedding the graphic into the report, although I have considering storing it in a table.

Regards
    WTH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's probably the root of the problem then. Try storing the graphic as a file and setting the picture property of an image control to point to that file. Use the image control on the report instead of embedding the graphic.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte

Success!

Thanks & Regards
    WTH