New Lounger
    Thanks

Help importing Word text/file into Excel (97/SR2)

Hi,

I'm trying to import a Word file into Excel using either Insert | Object | Create from file (tab) | and then selecting the file (I also click on 'Link to file' box) or by Paste Special | Word Object (this does not seem to allow a link to the file, which I require). However, when the text is imported into Excel, the font, font size, etc. are all different from what they were in Word.

I need this text to look like the surrounding text in Excel itself and be aligned with the rest of the worksheet but despite trying a no. of things (incl. changing the Word text attributes), I am not able to get the text attributes to match. Indeed, it looks rather like an ugly machine font.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Andy

Thanks

Re: Help importing Word text/file into Excel (97/SR2)

In XL97:
    If I open the word file in word,
    select all of it,
    copy it to the clipboard,
    then go to excel
    and edit - paste-special
    I can select the word object and click on the paste link button

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, Steve. That took care of one issue but the text attributes still remain different from the surrounding text (and I'm not using anything fancy - just Univers size 14 - in both Excel as well as Word). In order for the report to look consistent, I definitely need this to match.

Andy

Thanks

The font I get (as well as other formatting) is whatever it was in word.
    Have you tried increasing the size of the "word window" in excel?
    I don't have Univers font so I don't know what happens if the size of the word "area" is shrunk too low. I think that with some non-true-type fonts, they can start looking pretty "pixel-ated" showing al the "ragged edges"

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again, Steve. Yes, the formatting of the imported text is as it was in Word. However, since the text has to be stretched to align with the general format of the Excel file, the text takes on the rough edges, etc. that you mentioned and ultimately does not resemble the original font either in Word or in Excel.

I've attached a sample Excel file that shows my problem - the imported and 'made-to-align' text is at row 5 onwards. (I guess you will have to take my word that the text attributes in the Word have been set to match that in Excel :-) ). Note that the text originally 'imports' at just a little over 3 columns (see row 53 onwards in the file).

As you pointed out, the problem may well be that the text 'box' is stretched too much. How do I then make the text align with the rest of the report (fyi, the text should go upto but stay within column H in the attached file (column 'I' being the border)) and have it look the same as the surrounding text in the Excel file?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy

Thanks

If I change the picture size to 100% (ht and width) then it seems to me to be the same size on my monitor, though since I don't have univers font I am not sure what it converts it to (it looks like a sans serif type like Arial)

Is the issue that the total line width in excel can hold more text than the import. If so I think you will have to rethink your scheme, either the excel margins must be made narrower to match the word margins or you must have a wider size in the word doc to match what you want in excel.

Steve

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Steve. Had to drop this for a more urgent job but am now back to this.

I tried your suggestion and it seems to work. However, in my case, some other problems came up. I flipped the Word document into landscape mode and reduced the margins. That considerably improved the alignment problem (size is 100% for ht and width) and (trying this on a smaller test document), also solved the font display problem. However, on doing this in the actual document (which, by the way, is a template that I do not have the flexibility of modifying), the imported text still did not fit/expand to the required width. I tried to bypass this by increasing the page size in Word but doing this affects the default margin and so, at best, almost nullifies the page size change or, in some cases, actually compounds the problem.

Further, Excel seems to have a one page import limit - whatever appears on the first page of the Word document is imported and the rest is simply ignored. Since the page has to be flipped onto its side, the page height is naturally reduced. My actual Word document is about 2 and a quarter pages long (A4, portrait, size 12 Univers/Arial font, 1 in. margins on all 4 sides).

Is there anyway to turn off the pagination and have Word think the entire 2+ pages is one page? And/or can I increase the page size in Word and have it ignore the margins? I guess this makes it a Word problem then?

Again, thanks in advance for your help.

Andy

Thanks

The entire document is there, excel only shows the first page as a preview. Since it is a word document dbl-clicking will open the document in word. The only way I know to display multiple pages of a word doc in excel (using link) is to create bookmarks for each page and then link to the separate bookmarks.

Highlight the range in word
    insert - bookmark
    {give it a name}
    continue for each page.

After you are done
    Edit - Goto - bookmark {select the first bookmark}
    crl-c to copy

Goto excel
    edit paste-special
    Word document object
    select Paste link <ok>
    Now you have a link to the bookmark.
    You can copy this object (for as many bookmarks) in excel and then just edit the name of the bookmark in the formula bar.

It might be easier to have excel open word, and create a NEW document based on the linked document and have it add items from excel, or even to use something like mail merge in Word, But this way you need more WORD help than excel (I think)

Steve