Lounger
    Thanks

Conditional Format on Font Color (Excel 2000)

I was going to search--but can't tell if there is still a problem with the search capabilities of this Board at this time--and I'm at work and under the gun - -

I was trying to apply a conditional format to a cell that would shade the cell if the cell's font color was red. I used a couple of functions from Chip Pearson. Say cell A1 had red font. If I put Chip's function in cell B1, it would return the value of 3 for the color of the font in A1. So I had the function working properly. But, the problem occurs when I tried to put this function in a conditional formatting formula for cell A1. Actually, the formula evaluated properly, but when I tried to copy the conditional formatting to other cells, well, the cell's font color copied too. So if cell a15 was black, by the time I copied the formats from A1 to A15, obviously I changed the cell's font color and that is not what I wanted.
    1. Is there a way to copy conditional formats to cells without copying the existing cells formats?
    2. Can what I am doing be done with a function, any function, and conditional formatting, or do I need some kind of VBA routine.

FWIW, there were red colored fonts in cells over a very large spreadsheet and there was not other logic I could consistently apply to determine why the cell was colored red.
    Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conditional Format on Font Color (Excel 2000)

If you select a range of cells, then Format | Conditional Formatting..., you can specify conditional formatting for the active cell within the selection. When you click OK, the conditional formatting will be applied to the entire range, with conditions adapted to the other cells.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conditional Format on Font Color (Excel 2000)

Gee, I feel, well, stooopid. Now why couldn't I remember that yesterday, when all the directors were waiting for me to "fix" this sheet?

Thanks Hans, that's the ticket!